KENOSHA, Wis. -- The Vic Godfrey open was a tuneup for Maranatha, as a 6K for the men and a 4K for the women marked a shorter race distance to start the 2021 season. Both squads finished last in a highly competitive field, as Maranatha was the only NCAA DIII school to field a full team, going up against Wisconsin-Milwaukee (NCAA DI), Wisconsin-Parkside, Lewis, and Winona State (NCAA DII).
Jeremy Fopma ran a 19:56 6K (5:21/mile) was the top runner for Maranatha in the Men's 6K, finishing 34th overall. The squad was the "walking wounded", as physical issues affected two runners (Fopma, Smith) while sidelining Josiah Cochran. Lewis's Anthony Farmer won the race with a time of 18:26 (4:57/mile), leading the 13th-ranked NCAA DII school to the win. Lewis finished with just 23 points.
Abigail Doak once again paced the Sabercats in the Women's 4K, finishing with a 17:49 time to front the pack of their five top runners, who finished in just a 42-second window. Wisconsin-Milwaukee took home the gold for the event, as the Panthers finished with just 45 points. Winona State's Lindsey Cunningham cut the tape with a time of 13:59 - a pace of 5:38 per mile.
- Event (Host): Vic Godfrey Open (Wisconsin-Parkside)
- Men's Finish: 5th of 5 / 147 pts
- Team Time: 1:57:09
- First Runner: (6K)
- Women's Finish: 6th of 6 / 185 points
- Team Time: 1:31:11
- First Runner: Abigail Doak - 54th - 17:49 (4K)
- Location: Kenosha, Wis. / Wayne E. Dannehl National Cross Country Course
RESULTS (Men's 6K)
- 34th - Jeremy Fopma (19:56)
- 57th - Jordan Hoffmann (22:27)
- 62nd - Jefferson Rupert (23:55)
- 65th - David Dorothy (25:11)
- 66th - Drew Smith (25:38)
- 67th - Jonathan Gilliam (26:24)
- 69th - Jeremiah Markle (32:05)
- 70th - Curtis Fink (35:11)
RESULTS (Women's 4K)
- 54th - Abigail Doak (17:49)
- 57th - Sierra John (18:08)
- 58th - Lydia Neubert (18:15)
- 59th - Abby Gilliam (18:27)
- 60th - Katie Jean Lingle (18:31)
- 63rd - Katelynn Nutzhorn (19:12)
- 66th - Ashley Brungard (20:18)
- 70th - Melissa Shetter (22:39)
- 71st - Kaitlyn Mayer (22:50)
- 72nd - Taylor Ellis (22:56)
*Personal Record :: #Program Top-20 finish
The Sabercats' next meet will be Saturday, September 18 at the Tom Hoffman Invitational hosted by Wisconsin-Whitewater. Follow at mbusabercats.com/schedule.