JOPLIN, Mo. -- Abigail Doak has made a name for herself by becoming the first runner in Maranatha Women's Cross Country history to win NCCAA DII Nationals.
Her PR time of 19:36 for the Women's 5K sent her 14 seconds clear of the next-closest competitor, as the determined junior led the Sabercats to their best team time of the season. It was a celebratory but bittersweet day for everyone. On the "sweet" side, you name a runner and she ran a PR - every single runner set a personal record in the season finale, locking in a third-place finish behind Bob Jones University and Alice Lloyd College. On the "bitter" side, the team took third place only on a tie-breaker, as they tied with Alice Lloyd for the second- and third-place finishes.
Sierra John made a run at the All-American placements, finishing just outside of the top five with a seventh-place finish. John's PR of 21:23 is the ninth-fastest time in program history, and Katie Jean Lingle's 12th-place time of 22:23 keeps her locked in as the 18th-fastest runner in the 22-year history of the program.
All in all, the Sabercats did everything they could, as they capped off a season of patience, diligence, and determination with a podium finish at the NCCAA national stage and their fastest team time of a memorable 2020 season.
- Event: NCCAA DII Nationals
- Women's Finish: 3rd Place / 85 points
- Team Time: 1:26:28
- First Runner: Abigail Doak - 1st - 19:36 (5K)
- Location: Joplin, Mo. / Seneca Cross Country Course
RESULTS (Women's 5K)
- 1st - Abigail Doak (19:36)*#
- 7th - Sierra John (21:23)*#
- 12th - Katie Jean Lingle (22:23)*#
- 31st - Rebekah Shetter (24:36)*
- 34th - Hannah Hecker (24:53)*
- 37th - Katelyn Smith (26:14)*
- 38th - Haly Hendricks (26:46)*
- 40th - Myah Hoffmann (27:26)*
*Personal Record :: #Program Top-20 finish
A full recap of the season is coming soon at mbusabercats.com.