PELLA, Iowa -- In their first race of the season, the Sabercats showed that they are within striking distance of an early qualification for NCCAA Nationals.
Sierra John led the way with a 24:50 5K, just 20 seconds off the individual qualifying time for the season finale. As a team, the Sabercats were just over three minutes off of the team-qualifying time.
Grinnell College took the win on the day with a team time of 1:44:09 and 27 points. Right on the heels of Grinnell was the Central College Dutch, whose team score of 32 points came with a 1:45:37 team time. Grinnell's Mikayla Fujiwara cut the tape at 19:52 to finish first overall.
- Event: Dutch Invitational
- Women's Finish: 3rd of 3 / 85 pts
- Team Time: 2:08:13
- First Runner: Sierra John - 15th - 24:50
- Location: Pella Iowa / Central College
- Next: Saturday, September 14 at Tom Hoffman Invitational
- 15th - Sierra John (24:50)
- 16th - Taylor Ellis (25:15)
- 17th - KatieJean Lingle (25:35)
- 18th - Anna Rossiter (25:35)
- 19th - Abigail Doak (26:56)
- (20th) - Abigail Shetter (29:35)
The Sabercats will travel to Wisconsin-Whitewater and the Tom Hoffman Invitational next Saturday. Races are set to begin at 10:00 a.m.