MILWAUKEE -- With two big wins against Beloit and Simpson the Sabercats have ended the regular season exactly how they wanted.
Maranatha swept the Bucs before outlasting the Storm in a five-set skirmish. Claire Hansel put up 20 kills against Simpson to conclude the weekend and McKenzie Janke's 110 digs in four matches landed her on the all-tournament team.
- Maranatha 3-0 Beloit (25-12, 25-15, 25-13)
- Maranatha 3-2 Simpson (25-17, 19-25, 18-25, 25-20, 15-12)
- Venue: WLC Recreation Complex, Wisconsin Lutheran College
- Location: Milwaukee
- Attendance: 137, 153
- Records: MBU (20-4), BC (8-20), SC (8-19)
Beloit (Midwest Conference): The first match of the day was a cakewalk for Maranatha, who made the Bucs think that their five-set battle with MBU in September was simply an off-night for the Blue and Gold. After three quick sets, the Sabercats had given themselves momentum heading into the final match of the regular season. Hansel put up a mammoth 17 kills to account for almost 50 percent of MBU's total, and Janke reached 20 digs to frustrate the Bucs' offense.
Simpson (American Rivers Conference): The Sabercats knew how to win in five sets, as they proved yesterday against Wisconsin-Superior. This day was no different, as the Sabercats won the final two sets to conclude a dramatic end to the WLC Invitational.
The Sabercats have now reached the 20-wins mark during the regular season, which is the first time they have hit that mark since 2014 and just the fourth time they have amassed that number since 2000.
MBU Starters: 4- Hansel, 7- Janke, 9- Johnson, 10- Johnson, 12- Brimer, 22- Ureke, 24- Rueb
STATS (two-match totals)
- Hansel: 37 K, 17 D, 1 double-double
- Karley Johnson: 13 K, 33 A, 14 D, 1 double-double
- Kelsey Johnson: 11 K, 44 A, 19 D, 1 double-double
- Janke: 42 D
- Jennifer Rueb: season-best 7 blocks - highest mark this season for MBU
- Jessica Ureke: 11 K, 31 D
- Series: The Maranatha-Beloit series is now tied 8-8
- Series: Maranatha leads the all-time series with Simpson 3-0