WATERTOWN, Wis. -- There was simply no stopping the Sabercats tonight, as they rolled Rockford University 3-0 for their seventh straight win and a Senior Night victory.
This was the 16th win in the last 17 matches for Maranatha, who are approaching the NCCAA postseason with inexorable momentum.
- Result: Maranatha 3-0 Rockford (25-14, 25-18, 25-13)
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 213
- Record: MBU (17-3), RU (6-18)
Maranatha tied their highest kills mark of the season in the first set, putting down 19 kills to knock the Regents off their feet. Six different Sabercats recorded kills in the opener, and after an overwhelming 25-14 win, the Sabercats were calling the shots.
The Regents quickly regrouped and put up a 5-3 run to open the second set, but the Sabercats countered with a 10-2 run to retake control. McKenzie Janke was everywhere, picking up 23 digs on the night, and Gabrielle Carpenter kept the offense running with five kills in the second set alone. Late kills from Karley Johnson helped close things out, and when Maranatha won 25-18, you got the feeling that the Regents had invested the last of their savings.
Indeed they had, as the Sabercats breezed to a 25-13 win in the final set behind some vocal home fans inside the MBU gym. Claire Hansel kick-started the offense with three early kills, and Kelsey Johnson kept the momentum in full swing with some powerful attacks later on.
All in all, it was a celebratory night for the Sabercats, who are a force to be reckoned with and are showing no signs of slowing down.
MBU Starters: 4- Hansel, 7- Janke, 9- Johnson, 10- Johnson, 17- Carpenter, 22- Ureke, 24- Rueb
- Hansel, 11 kills, 7 digs
- Karley: 7 kills, 23 assists, 3 blocks
- Kelsey: 8 kills, 15 assists, 9 digs
- Ureke: 8 kills, 14 digs
- Carpenter: 8 kills
- Janke: 23 digs
- MBU: .320 attack percentage - 5th-best this season
- Last year: Maranatha swept Rockford at home
- Series: Maranatha leads the all-time series 12-4
- The Regents compete in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference
- RU put together a four-match winning streak in September but have yet to win this month
The Sabercats have concluded their regular-season home games and will travel to Emmaus Bible College on Saturday at 3:00 p.m. Follow at mbusabercats.com/schedule.