WATERTOWN, Wis. -- Maranatha wasted no time tonight, needing only about 45 minutes to take a straight-set win over Holy Family College.
The Sabercats limited the Lakers to just 28 points and just 11 kills on the night, and the Blue and Gold have now lost just one match since the first weekend of September.
- Result: Maranatha 3-0 Holy Family (25-9, 25-11, 25-8)
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 213
- Record: MBU (14-3), HFC (1-18)
When the first set was established, it was clear that it wouldn't take too long for Maranatha to post the win. Maranatha left the Lakers reeling by attacking at a clip of .500, notching 13 kills, and adding six aces in the first set alone. MBU held a 17-3 lead at one point and showcased their depth, playing 11 different student-athletes to take the 1-0 advantage in the match.
The second yielded very little change to the narrative, as Maranatha took the lead early and put the Lakers well out of reach with a 13-2 run in the middle of the set. HFC had a hard time dealing with the serve, as Maranatha posted a season-high 21 aces in the match - Karley Johnson, Gabrielle Carpenter, and Jessica Ureke all contributed five aces to the efforts as the Sabercats were firing on all cylinders.
Maranatha played everyone to take home the win, and it came after a breeze of a third set. MBU was stingy, only letting the Lakers notch eight points in the final frame en route to the straight-set win.
MBU Starters: 4- Hansel, 7- Janke, 9- Johnson, 10- Johnson, 12- Brimer, 17- Carpenter, 22- Ureke
- Claire Hansel: 9 kills
- Karley: 10 assists, 5 aces
- Kelsey Johnson: 17 assists, 7 digs
- Carpenter: 7 kills, 5 aces
- Ureke: 5 aces, 10 digs
- MBU: .343 attack percentage
- Last time: MBU swept Holy Family in Manitowoc, Wis.
- Series: Maranatha leads the all-time series 15-0
- Holy Family College is a member of the USCAA
- The Lakers' lone win this season came with a 3-2 win over Mount Mary on September 6
The Sabercats will drive to Milwaukee Saturday morning for a 10:00 a.m. clash with Alverno College. Follow at mbusabercats.com/schedule.