WATERTOWN, Wis. -- With the momentum of four straight sweeps behind them, the Sabercats countered a first-set loss to dominate the final three sets against Mount Mary University.
- Result: Maranatha 3-1 Mount Mary (23-25, 25-13, 25-8, 25-12)
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 219
- Record: MBU (6-2), MMU (0-13)
Mount Mary seemed to have forgotten that straight-set loss from the weekend, as they posted a 10-3 run in the middle stages to help seal a 25-23 win. It wasn't the clean start that the Sabercats wanted, as just six of the Blue Angels' 25 points came from kills.
The Sabercats rallied after the opening loss, storming out to win the second set 25-13. Maranatha landed 15 kills with just one attack error, hitting over .500 for the second and third sets combined. The offensive onslaught from MBU sent the Blue Angels into a tailspin, as the visitors only compiled 21 points in the two sets combined. Hansel and Kelsey Johnson were leading the way for the Sabercats, and Gabrielle Carpenter picked up a noteworthy 10 kills and two aces in the match to help the cause.
After beating the Blue Angels 25-13 and 25-8, the Sabercats were sure to take the match. And in the final set, MBU ended things in emphatic fashion, posting a 10-1 run to finish the Blue Angels off once and for all. Fittingly, it was Hansel who landed the final kill, as the Sabercats brought the home crowd to its feet in an electric home opener.
MBU Starters: 4- Hansel, 7- Janke, 9- Johnson, 10- Johnson, 12- Brimer, 17- Carpenter, 22- Ureke
- Hansel: 15 kills, now has 100 kills this season
- Kelsey: 15 kills, 16 assists, 7 digs
- Karley Johnson: 20 assists, 12 digs
- Carpenter: 10 kills and 0 errors
- McKenzie Janke: 16 D
- MBU: 51 kills and a season-best .355 hitting percentage
- Series: Maranatha leads the all-time series 34-15
- Mount Mary (NCAA DIII) competes in the American Collegiate Athletic Association
- MMU will host Maranatha on October 8
- Mount Mary will be preparing for the ACAA Tournament, which begins November 9
The Sabercats will stay home to take on Green-Bay Marinette on Friday at 6:00 p.m. Follow at mbusabercats.com/schedule.