Sabercats Advance to NCCAA Regional Championship with Win over Faith
MINNEAPOLIS - The Sabercats continued their dominance in NCCAA play by cruising 3-0 past the Eagles of Faith Baptist Bible College in the NCCAA North Regional Semifinal.
- Result: Sabercats 3-0 Eagles
- Venue: College Life Center Gymnasium
- Sabercats: now 20-5; 6-0 in NCCAA play
How it Happened
- MBU 25-15 FBBC
- The Eagles surprised the Sabercats early on as they took the 12-9 lead. After the Sabercats shrugged off their miscues at the net, however, they regained control of the match in a manner indicative of their superior seeding. A convincing 16-3 run to close out the set was capped off by nine unanswered points as Alison Renz and Madeline Thompson proved their worth at the net. Renz registered eight kills in the first set alone while Thompson supplemented that tally with four kills (1-0)
- MBU 25-14 FBBC
- The second set had a similar scoreline but a different storyline. The Sabercats were sharper in the early goings to gain an 8-2 advantage - a lead that they never looked back from. The largest Sabercat lead was 13 points midway through the second set, and their lead was held through a variety of attackers and a few misfires from the Eagles' attack. Katie Bender lead the Sabercats to concede the fewest points in the match, and when all was said and done, the Sabercats were poised for another straight-set NCCAA win (2-0)
- MBU 25-20 FBBC
- With the momentum undeniably in their favor, the Sabercats kept the Eagles on the retreat early on. Renz recorded early kills and was joined by Alexis Johnson, Julia Gunst, and Thompson to generate an 11-4 lead, but a mid-set Eagle rally sparked new life into the Iowans, who came back to within two points as the set reached its late stages. The Sabercats thwarted the hopes of an Eagle comeback, though, as they closed the match out. The aforementioned attackers shared the load for the Sabercats, who kept their streak alive of six consecutive straight-set wins in NCCAA play (3-0)
- The Sabercats advance to the Championship Game against the winner of Providence University College vs Moody Bible Institute.
- The match will be played at 1:00 PM tomorrow.
- Watch the game live at this location (subject to change) courtesy of NCU Athletics Communications.