Sabercats Notch Convincing AD3I Win over Scarlet Hawks
WATERTOWN, Wis. - In their penultimate home match for the 2016 season, the Sabercats rattled off a convincing 3-0 win over the Scarlet Hawks of the Illinois Institute of Technology. A varied attack and a stingy defense were the keys to success for the Sabercats, who remain undefeated on their home floor for the 2016 season.
- Result: MBU 3-0 IIT
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Attendance: 203
- Sabercats: now 18-5, Scarlet Hawks: now 14-16
How it Happened
- MBU 25-12 IIT
- The Sabercats came out flying and notched a quick eight unanswered points to take a commanding lead. The Sabercats were active at the net to ward off the quick-hitting Scarlet Hawks, and maintained a six-point minimum lead thanks in part to the varied attacks of Alison Renz. After taking a 21-10 point lead and forcing IIT to call a timeout, the Sabercats cruised to a 25-12 win in set one. (1-0)
- MBU 25-12 IIT
- The Scarlet Hawks made life more difficult for the Sabercats by tying it 6-6 in the opening bouts of set two, but the Sabercats soon settled into a rhythm as they rode the energy of stingy defense at the net and managed a 8-1 run to hold a 14-7 advantage and the momentum of the match. From then on out, the Sabercats' set win was inexorable, as they kept up the rigid blocking with a balanced attack to take another 25-12 win. (2-0)
- MBU 25-20 IIT
- The visitors did not stay down for long, and they took a 6-1 advantage in the early phases of a third set which proved to be the hardest work for the Sabercats. However, the early Scarlet Hawk run seemed to generate life in the Sabercats, as Madeline Thompson and Alexis Johnson led the hosts back into the lead with a 9-1 run. The Sabercats maintained a lead from then on out, but the Scarlet Hawks would not go down without a fight. When all was said and done, the Sabercats took the last set 25-20. (3-0)
- The Sabercats have a quick turnaround before playing the Lions of Finlandia University tomorrow night in another all-AD3I matchup.
- The match will be a Parents' Night event and will begin at 7:00.
- You can watch the game live at mbusabercats.com/live