#1 Sabercats Take #10 Archers for Sixth Straight
WATERTOWN, Wis. - For the fifth time in as many games, the Sabercats defeated their opponent in straight sets. This time, it was the Archers of Moody Bible Institute that fell prey to the Sabercats' steady attack, as the #1-ranked Sabercats proved their superior ranking in their play.
- Result: Sabercats 3-0 Archers
- Venue: MBU Gymnasium
- Attendance: 402
- Sabercats: now 11-4, Archers: now 6-7
How it Happened
- MBU 25-17 MBI
- In the first set, the Archers reminded the Sabercats of the tight matches between the two teams from the 2015 season, as the visitors came closest to the Sabercats in the first set. Madeline Thompson showed some strong play at the net in the middle stages, as the Ankeny, Iowa native notched three consecutive kills to give the Sabercats control. Thompson's kills combined with miscues at the net for the Archers to give the Sabercats the first set win. (1-0)
- MBU 28-10 MBI
- The second set was totally in control of the Sabercats from start to finish, as MBU jumped out to an 8-0 lead. Alison Renz led the Sabercats' attack which kept the Archers guessing, and would go on to post double-digit kills yet again, as the Lake Mills native boasted 16 on the night and six in the second game. (2-0)
- MBU 25-13 MBI
- The Sabercats' defense remained stingy in the final set, as Alexis Johnson and Katie Bender did their best to keep the floor clean. The pair picked up 11 and 13 digs, respectively, as the Sabercats made the third set a matter of routine to sweep the Archers for their sixth straight win and their fifth consecutive match in straight sets. (3-0)
- The Sabercats are now 5-0 in NCCAA play in the year and have not lost in NCCAA play since the 2014 postseason
- Renz has recorded double-digit kills in all 15 matches so far this season
- The Sabercats will travel to Fond du Lac, Wisconsin and Marian University tomorrow to face the Sabres at 1:00 PM.
- Follow the game via live stats at this location courtesy of Marian University Athletics.