Volleyball Sweeps Finlandia Tournament with Straight-Set Wins
HANCOCK, Mich. - On their return trip to the Finlandia Quad, the Sabercats were once again perfect, as they did not drop a set through three matches on the campus of Finlandia University. While an unpredictable offense - led by Alison Renz - was on hand, the Sabercats' defense was stingy, as they conceded just over 10 points per game.
- Sabercats 3-0 Grace Bible
- Sabercats 3-0 Gogebic
- Sabercats 3-0 Finlandia
- Venue: Paavo Nurmi Center
- Host: Finlandia University
- Sabercats: now 9-4 for the season
- W 3-0 vs Grace Bible (25-8, 25-10, 25-9)
- Renz clocked in for 18 kills and four blocks as a precise Sabercat squad cruised by Grace Bible. The Sabercats registered just 11 errors in the match - less than half of their season average to date. Julia Gunst pitched in 18 assists and combined with Karley Johnson's 11 assists to keep the Tigers guessing what would come next from the Sabercats' 6-2 lineup. After three quick sets, the Sabercats had a winning start to the tournament.
- W 3-0 vs Gogebic (25-10, 25-9, 25-16)
- The second game of the quad told a similar story: as the Sabercats had their druthers at the net, they turned away another opponent in straight sets. Katie Bender notched 18 digs to lead the scrappy defense while a balanced Sabercat offense featured Renz (10 kills), Madeline Thompson (nine kills) and Alexis Johnson (seven kills). Renz boasted five solo blocks in the match.
- W 3-0 vs Finlandia (25-11, 25-9, 25-10)
- Renz (16 kills, 11 digs) and Alexis Johnson (11 kills, eight digs) showed their versatility against the hosts, as the Sabercats repeated their 2015 victories against Finlandia. The Sabercats swept through the Lions in three sets to the tune of precise play and relentless defense to take home the sweep of the Finlandia Quad.
- The Sabercats will play their first match on their home court on Tuesday, as they host the Raiders of MSOE, whom the Sabercats conquered in four sets last weekend.
- The match is set to start at 7:00 PM and will be streamed live a mbusabercats.com/live