WATERTOWN, Wis. -- For the first time in four years, the Sabercats Women's Soccer Team is going to Nationals.
A Taylor Moses goal gave Maranatha a 1-0 victory over Faith Baptist, claiming the Sabercats the North Region Crown and a place in Florida for the 2020 NCCAA DII National Tournament.
- Result: Maranatha 1-0 Faith
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Event: NCCAA North Region Championship
- Attendance: 103
- Record: MBU (4-5-1), FBBC (3-6-0)
The game had a cagey opening that was fitting of the high-stakes intensity of a regional final. Neither team created good chances in the opening exchanges, but Maranatha kept it on Faith's end for the majority of the half.
Taylor Moses consistently threatened the Eagles with runs into the box, and her work would finally pay off in the 21st minute. Moses' hard run into the box was met with an inviting pass from Makayla Willette, and Moses needed just one touch to loop it over the goalkeeper and into the back of the net.
It was just one goal, but it was as good as a hundred.
From there, the Sabercats would rely on their defending to win the region crown. Trisha Wright controlled her penalty area and made two saves on the Eagles' only two shots on goal.
The 90 minutes was gritty, and finally, after three seasons of bitter disappointment at the regional stage, the Sabercats conquered their "demons", won the game, and captured the North Region crown.
MBU Starters: 0- Wright, 2- Willette, 6- Montgomery, 7- Evans (C), 8- Bishop, 13- Bagin (C), 14- Sponable (C), 15- Massey, 17- Moses, 19- Steuerwald, 20- Hassenplug
- Shot count: Maranatha 12-3 Faith
- Moses: 6 goals this season
- Wright: 2 saves in the shutout
- Last time: Faith won 1-2 at home on October 10
- Series: Maranatha now leads the all-time series 8-1-0
- Faith competes with the Sabercats for the NCCAA North Region
- Faith had a record-setting season last year, finishing in 3rd at the NCCAA National Tournament
The Sabercats await their seeding for the 2020 NCCAA DII National Tournament, which will be announced at mbusabercats.com.