LA CROSSE, Wis. -- On a cold, rainy day near the Minnesota border, the Sabercats battled to a 5-0 loss to Viterbo, holding the V-Hawks scoreless for the final 43 minutes.
The Sabercats have just one more regular-season game before the NCCAA North Region Championship, November 7.
- Result: Maranatha 0-5 Viterbo
- Venue: Viterbo Outdoor Athletic Complex
- Location: La Crosse, Wis.
- Attendance: 75
- Record: MBU (3-5-1), VU (6-0-0)
Viterbo wasted no time getting on the scoreboard, as Megan Goodman notched the opening goal just under 90 seconds into the game. From there, the Sabercats locked it down for the next 20 minutes, but Viterbo struck again, scoring three goals in 13 minutes to increase the lead to four entering halftime.
It was during the halftime break that the Sabercats regrouped. After the halftime adjustments, the Sabercats battled for the final 45 minutes, limiting the V-Hawks to just six shots and just one goal in the second half. The lone goal came just under two minutes in, as Abigail Mumm completed her hat-trick at the 46:45 mark.
From then on, the Sabercats battled. They thwarted the V-Hawks for the final 43 minutes of the game, keeping the hosts' shot count to just six in the second half. All in all, it was Viterbo's day, but the Sabercats had taken away some notable positives.
MBU Starters: 0- Wright, 2- Willette, 6- Montgomery, 8- Bishop, 10- Riley, 13- Bagin (C), 14- Sponable (C), 15- Massey, 17- Moses, 19- Steuerwald, 20- Hassenplug
- Shot count: Maranatha 0-5 Viterbo
- Wright: season-high 13 saves on the day
- Last time: Viterbo won 3-0 on November 1, 2019
- Series: Viterbo now leads the all-time series 4-1-0
- Viterbo competes in the NAIA as an independent institution
- Viterbo is eligible to participate in NAIA postseason competition
- Viterbo would head to Alabama in the spring to compete in the A.I.I. Tournament (NAIA)
The Sabercats will conclude their regular-season games with a 2:00 p.m. Parents' Day matchup with Great Lakes next Saturday. Find gameday details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.