ANKENY, Iowa -- Down a couple of starters, the Sabercats saw the regional rivalry reversed today, falling 1-2 at Faith Baptist.
Gabrielle Torres chalked up her first goal of the season, but a late goal from Faith sealed the deal for the hosts.
- Result: Maranatha 1-2 Faith Baptist
- Venue: Pyche Field, Faith Baptist Bible College
- Location: Ankeny, Iowa
- Attendance: 97
- Record: MBU (3-4-1), FBBC (2-2-0)
The Eagles were out to settle the score, and they opened the game with notable competitiveness and eagerness. Abigail Speichinger opened the scoring for Faith with a 25-yard laser to the upper corner, giving the hosts the opening goal that they were chasing.
But just five minutes after the hosts opened the scoring, Torres equalized. After a miscue from a Faith defender sent a ball into the box, Torres outran everyone and nestled her finish into the left side of the net from the center of the penalty area to mark her first of the season and tie the game at 1-1.
From there, the teams battled each other, but they also battled the heat. The pace of the play slowed down as the Iowa sun did its work, and at halftime, it was a 1-1 game.
The Sabercats pushed for chances early in the second half, as Amy Montgomery pried at the Faith back line but couldn't find a way through. As the Sabercats' efforts were thwarted, the Eagles began to gain momentum, slowly building chances at the other end of the field. The breakthrough finally came with just 12 minutes left, when Speichinger clipped another 25-yard shot into the top corner to seal the win, get revenge, and level the series for the 2020 season.
MBU Starters: 0- Wright, 2- Willette, 6- Montgomery, 8- Bishop, 11- Torres, 13- Bagin (C), 14- Sponable (C), 15- Massey, 17- Moses, 19- Steuerwald, 20- Hassenplug
- Shot count: Maranatha 11-13 Faith
- Torres: first goal of the season
- Trish Wright: five saves
- Last time: Maranatha beat Faith 3-2 at home in September
- Series: Maranatha now leads the all-time series 8-1-0
- Faith competes with the Sabercats for the NCCAA North Region
- Faith had a record-setting season last year, finishing in 3rd at the NCCAA National Tournament
- Faith had to miss two weeks of games due to COVID-19 precautions and recently restarted play with a win over Manhattan Christian
The Sabercats will take one Viterbo at home on Tuesday at 1:30 p.m. Find gameday details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.