WATERTOWN, Wis. -- The Trine Thunder outgunned the Sabercats this afternoon, rolling away from the MBU campus with a six-goal win in a high-scoring game.
- Result: Maranatha 2-8 Trine
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 119
- Record: MBU (2-2-0), TU (3-1-0)
Trine got on the board early, snatching two goals in the first five minutes. The visitors looked sharp right from the get-go, and it was clear right from the start that the Sabercats had a difficult afternoon in store.
Maranatha got on the board just over five minutes later - Hassenplug scored her first goal of the season after she dribbled in from the left side and launched a looping 25-yard effort that sailed over the goalkeeper.
The goal-fest continued, as Trine added two more goals in quick succession around the 20-minute mark. The visitors looked to be heading to the break with a three-goal lead, but when Makayla Willette sent a through ball in for Sponable, things looked promising to say the least. Sure enough, Sponable sunk her breakaway effort right under the crossbar to give the Sabercats a lifeline before halftime.
Sponable almost added the Sabercats' third goal of the game seconds before the break, but her effort was cleared off the line by a Trine defender. Sponable tried to whack in the rebound, but her shot sailed just over the crossbar.
The second half would be all about Trine. The visitors overwhelmed the Sabercats with some quick passing and determined running behind the back line, and the pressure created three goals in the span of 12 minutes. One final goal just three minutes before the end of the game put the finishing touches on the win, as the Thunder rolled back to Indiana with a six-goal victory.
MBU Starters: 0- Wright, 7- Evans (C), 8- Bishop 11- Torres (C), 13- Bagin (C), 14- Sponable (C), 15- Massey, 16-Vander Pluym, 17- Moses, 19- Steuerwald, 20- Hassenplug
- Shot count: Maranatha 4-39 Trine
- Hassenplug: 5th career goal and 1st goal of the season
- Sponable: 52nd career goal - now has scored or assisted in every game this season
- Record books: Sponable is now two goals shy of the all-time scoring record for Maranatha Women's Soccer
- Series: This was the first-ever matchup in the series
- Trine competes in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (NCAA DIII)
- Trine finished last season with a 4-8-3 record
- Trine just beat the defending NCCAA DII national runners-up, Grace Christian, 7-0
The Sabercats will stay home next Tuesday to take on Northwestern (Minn.) at 1:45 p.m. Find gameday details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.