LA CROSSE, Wis. -- Maranatha was missing a couple of key players today, and they were no match for the Viterbo V-Hawks.
On a cold day in La Crosse, Wisconsin, the Sabercats took a 3-0 loss despite their commendable defensive effort. Trisha Wright had a career-high 18 saves as MBU concluded the regular season with the loss.
- Result: Maranatha 0-3 Viterbo
- Venue: Viterbo Athletic Complex, Viterbo University
- Location: La Crosse, Wis.
- Attendance: 30
- Records: MBU (6-8-0), VU (9-3-1)
The game was originally scheduled for Watertown, but an October snowstorm moved the game to the northwest part of the state. It didn't take long for Viterbo to take advantage of their unexpected home-field advantage, as Sydney King put the hosts up 1-0 in the 13th minute.
But from there, the Sabercats kept Viterbo off of the scoreboard for the rest of the half. Wright was ubiquitous in the Maranatha net, fending off 11 Viterbo shots to keep the Sabercats within reach. Yes, Viterbo had plenty of shots (19, to be exact), but none of their shots were in too dangerous of a position.
But the halftime team talk proved effective for VU, who posted their second goal through Abbey Kellner just under two minutes into the second half. Then in the 64th minute, Megan Goodman supplied the hammer blow for the hosts, as she scored her fourth goal of the season to keep the Sabercats out of reach for good.
The loss moves the Sabercats to 6-8-0 on the season, and they will view this test as their final tune-up for Providence and NCCAA Regionals.
MBU Starters: 0- Wright, 5- Hassenplug, 7- Evans, 10- Riley, 11- Torres, 12- Moore, 14- Sponable, 15- Hendrickson, 16- Vander Pluym, 17- Moses, 19- Steuerwald
- Shot count: Maranatha 0-33 Viterbo
- Wright: 18 saves (career-high)
- Last time: Maranatha took a 4-0 loss at home to Viterbo on September 12, 2009
- Series: Viterbo now leads the all-time series 4-1-0
- The V-Hawks compete in the NAIA as an independent institution
- The V-Hawks are eligible to participate in NAIA postseason competition
- Viterbo will head to Georgia to compete in the A.I.I. Tournament (NAIA) November 15-16
The Sabercats put the regular-season behind them and turn their attention to the NCCAA North Region Tournament at Faith Baptist Bible College next weekend. MBU will open play against #2 Providence University College in the semifinal on Friday, November 8 at 9:00 a.m. Follow at mbusabercats.com/schedule.