ANKENY, Iowa -- It was a frustrating afternoon for the Sabercats, as they conceded a late goal to lose 2-0 to Faith Baptist Bible College.
The result evens the series for the season, as Faith capitalized on a season that has been full of positive momentum.
- Result: Maranatha 0-2 Faith
- Venue: Pyche Field, Faith Baptist Bible College
- Location: Ankeny, Iowa
- Attendance: 91
- Records: MBU (5-7-0), FBBC (11-4-0)
The Eagles had some early chances, and made the most of their positivity with an 18th-minute goal from Abby Zollinger, who scored on a breakaway to give the hosts the advantage. The first half was all about the Eagles, who poured the pressure on to shut the Sabercats out.
MBU managed one shot in the opening 45 minutes, and entering the halftime break, the one-goal deficit seemed almost insurmountable.
The Sabercats created chances in the second half but there seemed to be no way through. Alexis Sponable and Amy Montgomery threatened Faith with runs towards the goal, but the Sabercats couldn't connect when it mattered most. To make matters worse, the Eagles added an insurance goal just over a minute from time, as Abby Speichinger looped a shot into the far corner from outside the box.
It was an afternoon that the Blue and Gold will want to forget. The series is tied on the season, and the final word will be had in two weeks' time when the Sabercats return to Ankeny for the NCCAA North Region Tournament.
MBU Starters: 0- Wright, 5- Hassenplug, 6- Montgomery (C), 7- Evans, 10- Riley, 11- Torres, 14-Sponable, 15- Hendrickson, 16- Vander Pluym, 17- Moses, 19- Steuerwald
- Shot count: Maranatha 3-28 Faith
- Kseniya Hassenplug, Sponable: both recorded shots on goal
- Wright: 10 saves
- Last year: Maranatha beat Faith 1-0 at MBU
- Series: Maranatha now leads the all-time series 7-1-0
- The Eagles compete with the Sabercats for the NCCAA North Region
- The Eagles were coming off of a three-game winning streak coming into today
- The Eagles recently set a program record for wins in a season (nine)
The Sabercats will travel to Milwaukee to face Mount Mary University on Tuesday at 3:00 p.m. Follow at mbusabercats.com/schedule.