WATERTOWN, Wis. -- The Sabercats fought well in one of their toughest tests of the season, pestering the Cornell College Rams in a 0-2 loss.
Trisha Wright stood strong on the day, making 10 saves in the loss.
- Result: Maranatha 0-2 Cornell
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 48
- Records: MBU (4-5-0), CC (9-4-1)
The Rams kept the pressure on the Sabercats right out of the gate and saw their persistence rewarded in the 23rd minute. Layne Pullen sent a well-placed long pass behind the Sabercats' defense, and Sofia Schnur ran onto it to score a breakaway goal to mark her eighth goal of the season.
Trisha Wright was called on to make eight saves in the first half alone, as she did her part to frustrate the Rams' attack. Overall, the Sabercats' first-half performance was solid. Although Wright made eight saves, the Sabercats made sure that Cornell's shots weren't easy ones to take.
It took Cornell another 15 minutes to score after the halftime break. Schnur was again the Sabercats' enemy, as she dribbled down the Sabercats' left flank before firing her shot into the roof of the net.
That goal was the last of the scoring. Wright ended up with 10 saves to limit the rams to two goals, but the Sabercats could not find a breakthrough at the other end of the field.
MBU Starters: 0- Wright, 6- Montgomery (C), 7- Evans, 8-Nelson, 10- Riley, 11- Torres, 13- Bagin, 14- Sponable, 15- Hendrickson, 17- Moses, 19- Steuerwald
- Wright: 10 saves
- Last time: Cornell won 5-0 in the Sabercats' season-opener for 2018
- Series: Cornell now leads the all-time series 2-0
- The Rams compete in the Midwest Conference (NCAA DIII)
- Cornell is undefeated in MWC play (3-0-1)
- This was the Rams' final non-conference game of the season
The Sabercats will stay home for a 1:00 Parents' Day clash with Lincoln Christian on Saturday. Follow at mbusabercats.com/schedule.