WATERTOWN, Wis. -- The Sabercats continued a tough early-season schedule by taking a heavy loss to Marian University on a warm afternoon in Watertown.
The Sabres' quality was matched only by their depth, as the visitors pulled away in the second half to ensure a one-sided win on the MBU campus.
- Result: Maranatha 0-8 Marian
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 55
- Records: MBU (1-2-0), MU (2-4-0)
Early pressure from Marian was a harbinger of a hard afternoon for the Sabercats, who did well to lock up their defense and limit the Sabres to just two goals in the first half. Ashley Welk and Shannon Coughlin were the goalscorers for Marian, who fired off 22 shots, forcing TrishaWright to make eight saves in the first half alone.
After a hard 45 minutes subduing the Marian offense, the Sabercats were exposed in the second half by a 28-player depth chart from the Sabres. With a constant rotation of fresh legs on the field, Marian scored six goals in a 17-minute span to put the game out of reach of the Sabercats. Marian's Emily Hill, Shannon Coughlin, and Ashley Welk all scored twice for the visitors, who pick up their first win after four difficult non-conference matchups.
MBU Starters: 0- Wright, 6- Montgomery (C), 7- Evans, 9- Ng, 10- Riley, 12- Moore, 13- Bagin, 14- Sponable, 15- Hendrickson, 17- Moses, 19- Steuerwald
- Alexis Sponable, Hannah Evans: recorded shots for MBU
- Wright: made a season-high 14 saves in the loss
- Last year: Marian won 5-0 at home
- Series: Marian now leads the series, 18-5-1
- Marian competes in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (NCAA DIII)
- The Sabres qualified for the NACC tournament last year, falling in the semifinals to Illinois Tech
- This was Marian's last non-conference game before beginning NACC play
The Sabercats will stay home for a Thursday clash with Faith Baptist at 2:00 p.m. Watch live at mbusabercats.com/schedule.