GREENVILLE, Ill. -- The Panthers of Greenville University scored early and often this afternoon, as they picked up a 7-0 win over MBU at Francis Field. It was MBU's second game in as many days.
Greenville has proven themselves against some regional Division III mainstays this season, and this afternoon they proved their quality once again.
- Result: Maranatha 0-7 Greenville
- Venue: Francis Field, Greenville University
- Location: Greenville, Ill.
- Attendance: 100
- Records: MBU (3-4-0), GU (6-3-0)
It took the Panthers just under a minute to get on the scoreboard, and they never looked back. After scoring three times in the opening five minutes, the Panthers added two more before the break to enter halftime with a 5-0 lead.
The Sabercats limited the Panthers to more difficult shots in the second half, as Greenville scored just twice more in the second act. The two second-half goals came within seven minutes of each other, as Greenville added the brace to close out a decisive win.
THE SOUND BITE
"Thankful for another really difficult challenge for us," said Coach Dave Anderson. "It was always going to be an uphill battle being the second game in as many days, but the quality of Greenville was really top-notch. Thankful for our players' commitment to pursue improvement and growth through this one."
- Dani Pearce, Kate Arthur: scored 2 goals apiece for Greenville
- Ellie Cummins: had 2 assists for Greenville
- Hannah Wells: made 10 saves in the game
- Series: Greenville now leads the series, 3-0-0
- Greenville also competes in the SLIAC but have not begun conference play
- The Panthers entered today's game with a 5-3-0 record
- In their last time out, the Panthers were edged, 2-1, by Benedictine, who are slated to compete in the NCAA DII
The Sabercats will return home on Tuesday to face Finlandia University at 1:30 p.m. Watch live at mbusabercats.com/live.