WATERTOWN, Wis. -- The No. 7 Sabercats got the revenge they were looking for today, taking down No. 10 Emmaus Bible College 65-63 thanks to late heroics from a freshman.
Emily Johnson's connection with 3.3 seconds on the clock put the Sabercats ahead by two in the NCCAA Top-10 battle, improving their North Region record to 5-1 on the season.
- Result: No. 7 Maranatha 65-63 No. 10 Emmaus
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Event: NCCAA North Region regular season
- Attendance: 56
- Records: MBU (7-7), EBC (6-6)
The Sabercats needed nine free throws to stay two possessions ahead of Emmaus in the first half. Callie Morrison logged 10 points to pace Maranatha, but the Eagles showed that they were focused, shooting 59 percent from the field in the opening 20 minutes. At halftime, the Sabercats held a 35-30 lead and were on their way to the North Region win.
But once halftime hit, the Eagles took flight, putting up a 13-2 run to start the half. Cue: a back-and-forth regional-level battle highlighted with Emmaus tying it up at 51 at the end of the third.
The fourth quarter was framed to be a barn-burner, and that's exactly what it was. Emmaus kept the heat on and they would not go away. But the Sabercats took their chances when they needed to. Callie and Katelyn Morrison had ice in their veins from the line late on, helping seal the game from the line before Johnson stepped up in the Sabercats' last possession.
After 40 minutes of hard-fought NCCAA North Region play, the Sabercats had witnessed some late-game heroics, captured another North Region win, and taken revenge on their North Region opponents.
Maranatha Starters: 3- C. Morrison, 4- Johnson, 5- Hansel, 25- K. Morrison, 32- Simpson // Emmaus Starters: 1- Mendez, 21- Harding, 24- Morry, 25- Gelinas, 32- Brodmerkle
- Callie Morrison: 16 PTS, 6 REB, 6 AST
- Rogers: 16 PTS (career-high), 7 REB
- Jacklyn Simpson: 14 PTS, 3 REB
- Kia Gelinas: 28 PTS for Emmaus
- MBU: 21 PTS from the line
- Turnovers: MBU 13-23 EBC
- Last time: Emmaus won 59-48 at home on November 10
- Series: Maranatha leads the all-time series 24-9
- Emmaus competes with the Sabercats for the NCCAA North Region
- Emmaus also competes in the Midwest Christian College Conference
- Emmaus currently ranks #10 in the NCCAA DII
The Sabercats' next game is tomorrow at home against Lincoln Christian at 4:00 p.m. against Emmaus Bible. Find details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.