WATERTOWN, Wis. -- It's been two days, two games, and two wins for Maranatha, who punctuated their #7 NCCAA national ranking with a 67-50 win over Oak Hills Christian.
- Result: No. 7 Maranatha 67-50 Oak Hills
- Venue: Maranatha Gymnasium, Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 79
- Records: MBU (6-6), OHCC (3-9)
The Sabercats had ups and downs in the first half but eventually finished the half with as many points as yesterday's first half. Emily Johnson played a key role right out of the gate, posting 14 points in the first half. Callie Morrison was right behind Johnson with 10 and the Sabercats started to get on a roll. At halftime, they led 40-22 and were in full control.
Things might not have been as sharp as Maranatha wanted in the second half, but that didn't stop them from pulling away from Oak Hills. The Wolfpack ended on a high note with 19 points in the fourth quarter and Bria Brown put up 20 points for Oak Hills to lead everyone, but the Sabercats had done the damage.
Claire Hansel made a name for herself on the day as well: the senior hauled in 19 rebounds, marking the fourth-best single-game rebounding performance in the recorded history of the program.
Maranatha Starters: 3- C. Morrison, 4- Johnson, 5- Hansel, 25- K. Morrison, 32- Simpson // Oak Hills Starters: 3- De Campos, 5- Brown, 22- Gladney, 23- Goodwin, 25- Alvarado
- Johnson: 19 PTS, 5 REB, 4 STL
- Morrison: 15 PTS, 2 REB, 8 AST
- Jacklyn Simpson: 9 PTS, 8 REB, 2 AST
- Hansel: 19 REB (fourth-best single-game total in program history)
- MBU: Shot 19-22 from the free-throw line
- Rebounds: MBU 43-25 OHCC
- Series: Maranatha now leads the all-time series 2-0
- Oak Hills is a first-year program
- Oak Hills competes with the Sabercats for the NCCAA North Region
- Oak Hills picked up the first wins in program history over Free Lutheran Bible in December
The Sabercats will travel to Elgin, Illinois for their next game at Judson University on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. Find details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.