WATERTOWN, Wis. -- The Sabercats went deep into their bench and came away with a big win tonight, handling Oak Hills Christian 71-48.
Jacklyn Simpson marked her return to the home floor with a double-double and Callie Morrison logged 13 points, eight boards, and nine assists as Maranatha picked up their fourth North Region of the season.
- Result: No. 7 Maranatha 71-48 Oak Hills
- Venue: Maranatha Gymnasium, Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 153
- Records: MBU (5-6), OHCC (3-9)
Maranatha scored 20 points in three of the four quarters. Their press overwhelmed the Wolfpack, and Emily Johnson kept things going in the first quarter, posting eight points en route to 13 on the night. The Sabercats stayed one step ahead of their visitors in the first 20 minutes, and Jacklyn Simpson beat the buzzer to give Maranatha a 40-27 lead entering halftime.
The Wolfpack pulled within seven points in the early stages of the second half, but the Sabercats held off the trouble to close it out. Maranatha out-rebounded the Wolfpack 50-35 on the night, and bench contributions from Esther Garren, Katelyn Schultz, and Allison Kruse (four points each) helped seal the home win for the Blue and Gold.
Maranatha Starters: 3- C. Morrison, 4- Johnson, 5- Hansel, 25- K. Morrison, 32- Simpson // Oak Hills Starters: 3- De Campos, 5- Brown, 22- Gladney, 23- Goodwin, 25- Alvarado
- Morrison: 13 PTS, 8 REB, 9 AST
- Johnson: 13 PTS, 3 REB, 3 STL
- Simpson: 11 PTS, 11 REB
- Katelyn Morrison: 10 PTS, 7 REB
- MBU: 33.3 percent from the field
- Series: Maranatha now leads the all-time series 1-0
- Oak Hills is a first-year program
- Oak Hills competes with the Sabercats for the NCCAA North Region
- Oak Hills picked up the first wins in program history over Free Lutheran Bible in December
The Sabercats take on Oak Hills again at home tomorrow at 11 a.m. Find details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.