MILWAUKEE -- In their first game in over a month, the Sabercats were out-paced and out-matched at Cardinal Stritch University, falling 83-46 to begin 2021.
Callie Morrison put up 20 points to lead Maranatha, and a well-balanced Stritch side put five players in double digits for the home win.
- Result: Maranatha 46-83 Cardinal Stritch
- Venue: Cardinal Stritch Fieldhouse, Cardinal Stritch University
- Location: Milwaukee
- Attendance: --
- Records: MBU (3-5), CSU (3-7)
The first half was a struggle for Maranatha, as they yielded 16 turnovers to a high-tempo and eager Cardinal Stritch side. With the extra chances, Stritch led by as much as 30 points in the first half, taking a 51-23 lead into the locker room after a dominant 20 minutes of first-half play.
The second half was a similar story - Cardinal Stritch kept their foot on the gas and kept the Sabercats well out of reach. The Wolves put five different players in double digits, and they forced Maranatha the turn it over 25 times on the afternoon. Stritch led from start to finish to pick up their third win of the 2020-21 season.
The Sabercats welcomed Claire Hansel and Jacklyn Simpson back to the squad. Both Hansel and Simpson did not play in the 2019-20 season. Simpson logged eight points and Hansel contributed two points and six boards.
Maranatha Starters: 3- C. Morrison, 4- Johnson, 20- Rogers, 25- K. Morrison, 32- Simpson // Stritch Starters: 5- Stotts, 10- Gayarre, 15- Shimko, 20- Tomaszewski, 22- Diny
- C. Morrison: 20 PTS, 5 REB
- Simpson: 8 PTS, 4 REB, 3 AST
- CSU: Shot 46.5 percent and had 28 more shots than MBU from the floor
- Last time: The Wolves took home the win in 2007, which was the last meeting in the series
- Series: Stritch now leads the all-time series 26-3
- Stritch competes in Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference of the NAIA
- Stritch just beat Lincoln (Ill.) two days ago for their first CCAC win of the season
- Stritch finished last season with a 10-18 record
The Sabercats will travel to Trinity International to play on Monday at 4:00 p.m. behind closed doors. Find details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.