ANKENY, Iowa -- After a high-stakes finish, the Sabercats are now on a two-game winning streak in the NCCAA North Region after they took down Calvary University 65-59.
- Result: Maranatha 65-59 Calvary
- Venue: Nettleton Center, Faith Baptist Bible College
- Location: Ankeny, Iowa
- Event: Faith Christmas Classic
- Attendance: 93
- Records: MBU (2-4), CU (2-2)
Right from the get-go it was obvious this one was going to be a close game from start to finish. Calvary scored eight points from the line to make up for some sloppy shooting, taking a 16-14 lead going into the second quarter. The Sabercats stayed steady throughout the first half, and they would eventually take a one-point lead going into the locker room when Johnson scored with two seconds left in the half. The Sabercats had a fight on their hands, and they had a slight lead going into the locker room.
The first half was a sign of things to come for the Sabercats: they were balanced and committed, and they had a slight upper hand on their North Region opponents.
The third quarter turned out to be the most lopsided one, and it was decided by just five points in Maranatha's favor. Maranatha forced Calvary to shoot just 5-15 from the field while answering with an 8-18 performance at the other end. Johnson, Callie Morrison, and Rogers were leading the charge, but a six-point lead was anything but a terminal blow to the Warriors. The fourth quarter would be interesting.
It came right down to the wire, and the Warriors made it a one-possession game with just two minutes on the clock. But just when the game looked to be tipping in the wrong direction, Rogers and Kiersten Johnson connected jumpers after some determined defensive work at the other end of the floor. With a seven-point lead with just 40 seconds to play, the Sabercats finally took the breath they deserved.
After an exchange of free throws, the Sabercats had secured a six-point North Region win, marking their second consecutive victory to begin the Faith Christmas Classic.
Maranatha Starters: 3- C. Morrison, 4- E. Johnson, 20- Rogers, 25- K. Morrison, 35- Kruse
- Rogers: 14 PTS (career-high), 7 REB
- C. Morrison: 13 PTS, 8 REB, 4 AST
- E. Johnson: 12 PTS, 4 REB, 4 AST
- MBU: shot 45.2 percent from the field
- Last year: The Sabercats won 58-47 last season
- Series: Maranatha now leads the all-time series 2-0
- Calvary competes with the Sabercats for the NCCAA North Region
- Calvary also competes in the Midwest Christian College Conference
The Sabercats will take on Faith Baptist tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. Find details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.