MINNEAPOLIS -- The Sabercats felt the effects of a limited roster size and a tight game schedule, falling 45-74 at North Central.
- Result: Maranatha 45-74 North Central
- Venue: Clark-Danielson Gymnasium, North Central University
- Location: Minneapolis
- Attendance: 50
- Records: MBU (0-4), NCU (3-0)
North Central exploded out of the gate, putting up 30 points in the first quarter alone. The Rams found the gaps in the Sabercats' defense, mixing up their scoring from close range and downtown alike to take a commanding lead after the first quarter.
The Rams' defense was stingy in the opening 10 minutes, as the Sabercats shot just 3-11 from the field to go in the hole. Maranatha rebounded with sharper shooting and a better overall performance in the second act, but North Central wouldn't be stopped, entering halftime with an overwhelming 25-point lead.
From the start of the second half until the final horn, North Central tried to coast to the finish, but it wasn't without resistance. After losing a defense-heavy third quarter, the Sabercats responded by winning the final act 14-12 thanks to 10 points from Katelyn Morrison. Abbie Herbster got in on the scoring as well, marking her first collegiate points, but the Sabercats were ultimately denied their first win of the season. North Central remains perfect on the season
Maranatha Starters: 3- C. Morrison, 21- Schultz, 25- K. Morrison, 31- Bosnyak, 35- Kruse
- K Morrison: 21 PTS (ties career-high), 4 REB, 2 STL
- K Morrison: 13-14 from the line
- C Morrison: 16 PTS, 10 REB
- MBU: Shot 27.5 percent from the floor
- Last year: The Sabercats split the two-game series with North Central
- Series: North Central now leads the all-time series 10-8
- North Central used to compete with the Sabercats for the NCCAA North Region
- North Central now competes only in the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference (NCAA DIII)
- North Central finished last year with a 12-14 record and a first-round loss in the UMAC playoffs
The Sabercats will regroup, add players to the roster, and resume action on December 1 with a 4:00 p.m. tip at Lincoln Christian University. Find details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.