MINNEAPOLIS -- Even a career-high 21 points from Katelyn Morrison was no consolation for the Sabercats tonight, as they fell 59-76 at North Central University.
This was the first of two games at NCU this weekend, as the Sabercats will look to even the season series tomorrow at 1:00 p.m.
- Result: Maranatha 59-76 North Central
- Venue: Clark-Danielson Gymnasium, North Central University
- Location: Minneapolis
- Attendance: 50
- Records: MBU (0-3), NCU (2-0)
The game ended up being back and forth as the Sabercats ramped up their shooting, taking the smarter looks throughout the night. It seemed to be a case of quality over quantity, as the Sabercats won the second and fourth quarters but couldn't put the pieces together in the other two.
While the Sabercats attacked the basket, North Central spread their shots out, putting up 12 points from downtown in the first quarter and adding another dozen from inside the arc. An early North Central lead forced the Sabercats to play catch-up for the remainder of the half, and a spearheading performance from Morrison gave the Sabercats a one-point advantage in the second quarter - but they still trailed by 15 going into the break.
The dagger ended up being basically the entire third quarter, as North Central removed the hopes of winning from the Sabercats' minds. The Rams heated up, going 10-21 from the floor and 5-10 from downtown to extend their 15-point lead to 25 going into the fourth quarter.
In credit to Maranatha, they kept the pressure on the Rams until the final horn - North Central shot just 25 percent through the last 10 minutes and the Sabercats held a 16-8 advantage. Morrison wrapped up her career-high performance and Callie Morrison added 19 points herself to bolster the efforts.
The Sabercats have a quick turnaround to regroup, as they tip off game two of the series in 15 hours.
Maranatha Starters: 3- Morrison, 13- Garren, 21- Schultz, 25- Morrison, 35- Kruse
- K Morrison: 21 PTS (career-high), 6 REB, 4 AST
- C Morrison: 19 PTS, 7 REB, 6 AST
- Katelyn Schultz: 7 PTS, 5 REB
- Tierney Bosnyak: 4 PTS, 6 REB
- MBU: Shot 41.3 percent from the floor
- MBU: Held the rebounding advantage 40-37
- Last year: The Sabercats split the two-game series with North Central
- Series: North Central now leads the all-time series 9-8
- North Central used to compete with the Sabercats for the NCCAA North Region
- North Central now competes only in the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference (NCAA DIII)
- North Central finished last year with a 12-14 record and a first-round loss in the UMAC playoffs
The Sabercats will stay in Minneapolis to face North Central again tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. Find details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.