ST. PAUL -- The Sabercats have started the season, but this was anything but the start they were looking for.
The short-handed Sabercats shot just over 25 percent from the field as they struggled to the end of a 72-36 loss at the University of Northwestern.
- Result: Maranatha 36-72 Northwestern
- Venue: Ericksen Center, University of Northwestern
- Location: St. Paul, Minn.
- Attendance: 136
- Record: MBU (0-1), UNW (1-0)
Katelyn Morrison led the Sabercats on the night with 13 points, as the Sophomore tried to orchestrate a first-quarter scoring spree. But the Sabercats' 15-point effort was still two points shy of their hosts, and as it turned out, that 15-point showing was the best in a single quarter for the Sabercats on the day.
The Eagles proved why they haven't had a losing season since 2011-12, as the hosts poured on the pressure over the next 20 minutes. In the second and third quarters combined, the Eagles outscored the Sabercats 41-10, as the pendulum swung heavily back in favor of UNW.
From there, it was a simple matter of seeing out the game for Northwestern. The Sabercats felt the shallowness of their roster, as they will be eagerly awaiting their December games when they have everyone accounted for.
Maranatha Starters: 3- C. Morrison, 21- Schultz, 23- K. Johnson, 25- K. Morrison, 35- Kruse
- K. Morrison: 13 PTS, 4 REB
- Hannah Hecker: 10 PTS
- Callie Morrison: 2 PTS, 5 REB
- Series: This was the first-ever matchup in the series
- Northwestern competes in the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference (NCAA DIII)
- Northwestern also competes in the NCCAA DI
- Northwestern hasn't had a losing season since 2011
The Sabercats open NCCAA North Region competition on Tuesday night with a 5:00 p.m. tipoff at Emmaus Bible College. Find details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.