ELLENDALE, N.D. -- The Sabercats just repeated what they have been doing all season long tonight, and they are safely in the North Region Championship game.
With a Callie Morrison-led 62-42 win over #3 Emmaus, the Sabercats will face #4 Calvary tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. for the North Region title and a return trip to NCCAA Nationals.
- Result: #2 Maranatha 62-42 #3 Emmaus
- Venue: Trinity Bible College
- Location: Ellendale, N.D.
- Attendance: 131
- Record: MBU (18-3), EBC (16-8)
For the Sabercats, it was business as usual right out of the gate. Callie Morrison led the way with 12 first-half points while Katelyn Morrison and Kelsey Johnson ended up with seven points apiece in the opening 20 minutes. It was a balanced performance all-around for the Blue and Gold, as they restricted the Eagles throughout the first half. The Eagles had a decent start with a few three-pointers, but their momentum quickly faded as the half wore on.
After the opening 20 minutes, the Sabercats were in control of the game and a solid 14 points in front of their competitors.
The third quarter was relatively free of dramatic changes in the scoreline, as the Sabercats kept hitting their shots to stay comfortably ahead. Callie and Kelsey led the way by coming for 18 of the Sabercats' 20 points in the third quarter, and with just 10 minutes to play, the Sabercats were right where they wanted to be, ahead 55-38.
It was a coast to the finish from that point on, as the fourth quarter ended up being a low-scoring endeavor. By the end of the night, Callie and Kelsey cemented themselves as the game's leading scorers, the Sabercats had the win they were looking for, and their ticket to the championship was punched.
MBU Starters: 3- C. Morrison, 12- Ka. Johnson, 13- Ke. Johnson, 25- K. Morrison, 32- Anderson
- Callie: 22 PTS, 2 REB, 8 AST
- Kelsey: 15 PTS, 9 REB
- Katelyn: 9 PTS, 2 REB
- MBU: Held the Eagles to shooting under 25 percent for the night
- Last time: The Sabercats won at Emmaus and at home this season
- Series: The Sabercats now lead the series 23-8
- Emmaus just won the MCCC Conference Championship
- Emmaus was on a five-game winning streak coming into tonight
- Emmaus tabbed Coach Heather Cunard this season for her first season as head coach
The Sabercats have earned a return trip to tomorrow's North Region Championship at 2:00 p.m. against #4 Calvary University. Find details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.