MILWAUKEE -- A rough second quarter proved costly tonight, as the Sabercats fell by 10 to a perennial NACC powerhouse.
A 64-74 loss to Wisconsin Lutheran College marked the Sabercats' third loss this season, but despite that second quarter, there were multiple positives.
- Result: Maranatha 64-74 Wisconsin Lutheran
- Venue: WLC Recreation Complex, Wisconsin Lutheran College
- Location: Milwaukee
- Attendance: 97
- Record: MBU (14-3), WLC (17-6)
One positive was Karley Johnson and Callie Morrison posting 22 and 21 points, respectively, and another was the Sabercats' 20-11 advantage after a red-hot first quarter. The team shot over 60 percent in the first quarter, but the tide quickly turned after the opening 10 minutes. Eight turnovers and a cold 2-13 shooting performance set the Sabercats way behind, and WLC capitalized to take a 33-26 advantage into the locker room.
Just like that, the momentum had shifted completely the other way.
But the Sabercats rebounded from their worst points-total of the season to make it a six-point game after the third quarter. Seven points from Morrison and six from Johnson made it a two-possession game, and this game had proven that anything was possible.
The fourth quarter was a straight-up shootout. As it was, Wisconsin Lutheran won the game by 10 and pretty much held a 10-point lead throughout the fourth quarter, so the game was never in doubt for the hosts. Karley got her point total to 22 and Callie rounded off her 21-point performance, but in the end, the Sabercats couldn't recover from the slow performance in the second quarter.
MBU Starters: 3- C. Morrison, 12- Ka. Johnson, 13- Ke. Johnson, 25- K. Morrison, 30- Lawver
- Callie: 20 PTS, 5 REB, 8 AST
- Callie: Has double-digit points in all but two games this season
- Kelsey: 19 PTS, 11 REB
- Kelsey: Eighth double-double this season
- Karley: 15 PTS, 8 REB
- Bench points: MBU 7-19 MMU
- Last time: The Sabercats lost 42-71 last year
- Series: Wisconsin Lutheran now leads the all-time series 46-14
- Wisconsin Lutheran competes in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (NCAA DIII)
- Wisconsin Lutheran finished 27-2 last season after advancing to the second round of the NCAA Tournament
- Wisconsin Lutheran is 14-4 in NACC play, sitting in 3rd place
The Sabercats will host Lincoln Christian University on Tuesday at 5:00 p.m. Find details at mbusabercats.com/schedule.