LINCOLN, Ill. -- The Sabercats just took home their seventh straight win, and it was anything but lucky.
Maranatha won 85-47 over Lincoln Christian University, marking the most points in a game all season.
- Result: Maranatha 85-47 Lincoln Christian
- Venue: Gaston Arena, Lincoln Christian University
- Location: Lincoln, Ill.
- Attendance: 71
- Records: MBU (8-1), Lincoln Christian (2-13)
The Sabercats got off to a hot start in the first quarter, hitting over half their shots from the floor while staying a step ahead of their hosts. Trisha Wright did the most scoring in the opening minutes, posting six points for MBU. All in all, seven different Sabercats added to a 24-point first quarter. MBU was looking balanced, sharp, and precise.
The second quarter yielded few changes to the narrative. Kelsey Johnson hit 10 points to lead the way for the Blue and Gold, and after the Sabercats held LCU to just 10 points in the second quarter, Maranatha had a 45-26 lead entering halftime.
The break seemed to cool the Sabercats down. After shooting 19-35 in the first half, MBU slacked to an 8-20 showing in the third quarter alone. But they made up for it by out-rebounding LCU and adding five steals to keep the Red Lions frustrated and momentum-less. Going into the final act, the outcome was inevitable.
The fourth quarter was stress-free for MBU, and it was a microcosm of the lopsided contest. The Sabercats saved their best defense for last, allowing just one basket from open play, forcing LCU to shoot an ice-cold 1-14 from the floor. Hannah Hecker came off the bench to add four of the final six points for Maranatha, who have seemingly inexorable momentum.
MBU Starters: 3- C. Morrison, 4- Wright, 12- Johnson, 13- Johnson, 30- Lawver
- Kelsey: 19 PTS, 9 REB, 3 STL
- Wright: 14 PTS, 5 AST
- Callie Morrison: 13 PTS, 10 REB
- Karley Johnson: 11 PTS, 12 REB
- MBU: Shot 48 percent from the field
- MBU: Had 11 different student-athletes contribute points
- MBU: Had 14 different student-athletes contribute minutes
- MBU: Held Lincoln Christian to shooting just 25 percent on the night
- Last year: The Sabercats split the series with the Red Lions
- Series: Maranatha now leads the all-time series 28-12
- Lincoln Christian competes in the NAIA as an independent member
- Lincoln Christian also competes in the NCCAA DI
- Lincoln Christian used to compete with Maranatha for the NCCAA DII Midwest Region
The Sabercats will travel to Crown College for a 1:00 p.m. tipoff Saturday, weather permitting. Stay current at mbusabercats.com/schedule.