MANITOWOC, Wis. -- The Sabercats are rolling, and they picked up their sixth straight win in commanding style.
- Result: Maranatha 64-63 Silver Lake
- Venue: UW-Manitowoc Fieldhouse
- Location: Manitowoc, Wis.
- Attendance: 69
- Records: MBU (7-1), Holy Family (3-15)
In the best way, this game was devoid of nerve-wracking moments for the Sabercats, who jumped out to a 14-9 lead after the first quarter and never looked back. Callie Morrison led the way with six points in the first quarter, and Trisha Wright added three from off the bench as the Sabercats announced their intentions to their hosts.
The second quarter was a defensive battle through and through, as the two teams combined for just 16 points. The Sabercats limited the Lakers to shooting a measly 25 percent from the field, which included seven shots from downtown that were off the mark. Kelsey Johnson supplied eight of the 10 points for MBU, who had a 24-15 lead going into halftime.
As they so often do, the Sabercats hit the ground running in the third quarter, as they scored 24 points to double their total on the night. The third quarter was powered by the Johnson twins, as Karley and Kelsey put up 18 points and 10 boards between them - singlehandedly out-scoring and out-rebounding the entire Holy Family team.
Thanks to the hard work put in over the first three quarters, the Sabercats were able to coast to the finish, more or less.
Maranatha showcased their depth, as Regina Anderson (four points), Katelyn Morrison (three points) and Sarah Rogers (two points) all contributed to the closing remarks as the Sabercats took home the 15-point win.
MBU Starters: 3- C. Morrison, 10- Nerat, 12- Johnson, 13- Johnson, 23- Johnson
- Kelsey: 20 PTS, 14 REB, 5 AST
- Callie: 12 PTS, 5 AST
- Karley: 11 PTS, 14 REB
- MBU: Held Holy Family to shooting just 28 percent on the night
- Last year: The Sabercats won at home and at Holy Family
- Series: Holy Family now leads the all-time series 25-3
- Holy Family competes in the NAIA as an independent member
- Holy Family recently posted NCAA DIII wins over Martin Luther and Mount Mary
- Holy Family finished last season with an 8-26 record
The Sabercats will travel to Lincoln Christian University for a 5:00 p.m. Thursday tipoff. Follow at mbusabercats.com/schedule.