DUBUQUE, Iowa -- After holding off a second-half charge from Emmaus, the Sabercats stay perfect for 2020.
Maranatha's 67-58 win was fueled by a 21-point performance from Kelsey Johnson, who continues her impressive form.
- Result: Maranatha 67-58 EBC
- Venue: Pollard Field House, Emmaus Bible College
- Location: Dubuque, Iowa
- Attendance: 101
- Records: MBU (5-1), EBC (6-6)
The Sabercats' offense was firing on all cylinders through the first two quarters. Maranatha shot over 50 percent from the field in the first quarter, which included a 4-5 shooting performance from downtown. After leading 22-9 going into the second quarter, the Sabercats posted a 13-10 advantage in the second, led by a dozen points from Callie Morrison.
While the Sabercats' offense took a little bit of a hit, as they shot just over 40 percent in the second, but they still held a 35-19 lead going into the break.
If the Sabercats thought they were in for an easy win, they were in for a surprise.
Maranatha found their range again in the third quarter, as they climbed above the 50-percent mark to post a solid 18 points. But Emmaus showed their spirit by posting 17 of their own. Tiffany Williams led from the front for the hosts, chalking up 12 points of her own. With just 10 minutes left, Maranatha had a 17-point lead.
The Sabercats shut down Williams in the final quarter, but the rest of the Eagles picked up the slack. Maranatha got a small scare in the final minute, as Emmaus put up eight unanswered points, but the Sabercats were too far ahead for the Eagles to catch. With a 67-58 win, Maranatha picks up an away NCCAA North Region win and stays perfect in 2020.
MBU Starters: 3- C. Morrison, 12- Johnson, 13- Johnson, 23- Johnson, 30- Lawver
- Kelsey: 21 PTS, 8 REB, 4 AST
- Callie: 18 PTS, 3 REB, 4 AST
- Karley: 14 PTS, 12 REB
- Last time: The Sabercats won 74-68 in last year's NCCAA North Region semifinal
- Series: Maranatha now leads the all-time series 22-8
- Emmaus competes with the Sabercats for the NCCAA North Region
- Emmaus had won five of their last six games coming into tonight.
- Emmaus welcomed Heather Cunard as their new head coach for this season
The Sabercats will travel to North Central University for a 5:00 p.m. tipoff Thursday. Follow at mbusabercats.com/schedule.