ASHLAND, Wis. -- The Sabercats have started the decade on a high note, winning a thriller at Northland College thanks to standout performances from the Johnsons.
Kelsey and Karley scored 21 points each as the Sabercats topped Northland 75-73, beating NC for the second time this season.
- Result: Maranatha 75-73 Northland
- Venue: Kendrigan Center, Northland College
- Location: Ashland, Wis.
- Attendance: 101
- Records: MBU (4-1), NC (2-8)
Kelsey Johnson wasted no time at all to make her presence known. The senior drained three shots from beyond the arc, scoring 11 points in the first quarter alone to give the Sabercats a 21-13 lead.
The Sabercats starters shared the load in the second quarter, and Callie Morrison did a lot of the work. Morrison connected for eight points in the quarter as all five starters combined for 22 points, putting MBU ahead 43-31 entering halftime.
But Northland proved to be feisty. After winning the third quarter 23-15, the Jills made the final act a real barn-burner.
The lead went back and forth as the game came to a close, and Johnson showed sheer determination to bring the Sabercats back in it. After Northland went ahead by five, Johnson put up eight points for the Sabercats in just a two-minute span. From there, Johnson went on to drill three clutch free throws in the final thirty seconds of the game to seal the dramatic win over the Jills.
MBU Starters: 3- C. Morrison, 4- Wright, 12- Johnson, 13- Johnson, 30- Lawver
- Kelsey: 21 PTS, 12 REB, 4 AST
- Karley: 21 PTS, 10 REB, 3 AST
- Callie: 18 PTS, 4 REB, 5 AST
- Last time: The Sabercats won 69-49 at home in their season-opener
- Series: Maranatha now leads the all-time series 5-0
- Northland competes in the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference
- Northland opened the seasons with back-to-back wins over Mount Mary and Alverno
- Northland finished last season with a 5-17 record
The Sabercats will travel to Emmaus Bible College for a 7:00 p.m. tipoff on Tuesday. Follow at mbusabercats.com/schedule.