WATERTOWN, Wis. -- Things weren't pretty at the start, but the Sabercats got what they wanted this afternoon.
With a 56-47 win over Finlandia University fueled by a Karley Johnson double-double, the Sabercats stay perfect at home and pick up their second win of the season.
- Result: Maranatha 56-47 Finlandia
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 102
- Records: MBU (2-1), FINNU (5-8)
The first quarter was a story of missed chances and turnovers, as the two teams combined for a grand total of 42 turnovers in the first half alone. Neither team reached 10 points in the first quarter, as both teams rushed their shots throughout. Karley Johnson did most of the scoring for Maranatha, as she hit a three-pointer close to the buzzer to give the Sabercats a 9-6 lead going into the second.
Things didn't improve much in the second quarter in terms of scoring. But Finlandia got into some foul trouble and the Sabercats capitalized from the line. Free throws from Krysten Lawver, Callie Morrison, and Katelyn Morrison gave the Sabercats an edge as the quarter went on, and going into the break, Maranatha held a 20-14 lead in the defensive battle.
After the rough first half, the third quarter held the answer that both teams were looking for, as both teams hit 19 points in that 10-minute stretch. Johnson continued to carry the Sabercats, as she would eventually get up to 20 points by the end of the game. Another contributor was Trisha Wright, who cashed in for seven points in the third quarter alone, and going into the final act, it was a two-possession game with the Sabercats leading 39-33.
When the game was on the line, Karley went on a tear.
The senior logged an impressive nine points, five boards, and three rebounds in the fourth quarter alone to frustrate the Lions and keep the Sabercats out of reach. The closest Finlandia would come was a six-point distance, but Johnson and MBU had what it took to pull out the nine-point win.
MBU Starters: 3- C. Morrison, 5- Bailey, 12- Johnson, 13- Johnson, 21- Schultz
- Johnson: 20 PTS, 10 REB, 5 STL
- Callie: 11 PTS, 7 REB, 4 AST
- Lawver: Led the bench with 8 PTS, 3 REB
- MBU, FINNU: Combined for 64 turnovers
- Last time: The Lions won 69-61 during the 2015-16 season
- Series: Finlandia now leads the all-time series 3-1
- Finlandia competes in the American Collegiate Athletic Association
- Finlandia came into today riding back-to-back wins over Viterbo and Wisconsin-River Falls
- Finlandia finished the 2018-19 season with a record of 7-18
The Sabercats will conclude this semester with a 6:00 p.m. tipoff at Alverno on Thursday. Follow at mbusabercats.com/schedule.