WATERTOWN, Wis. -- With the exact same scoreline from Saturday, the Sabercats have ended the regular season with their 10th consecutive win.
Kelsey Johnson logged 21 points and 13 rebounds to lead the Sabercats, who head into the NCCAA postseason holding nothing back.
- Result: Maranatha 72-48 Mount Mary
- Venue: MBU Gymnasium
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 137
- Records: MBU (15-6), MMU (10-11)
Five points apiece from Callie Morrison and Kelsey Johnson - and four from Sydney Luttrull - gave the Sabercats a hot start in the opening minutes. But after a 14-point opening statement, the Sabercats couldn't enhance their argument much further.
After that 14-point surge to start the game, the Sabercats hit a cold stretch that extended to the closing minutes of the second quarter. But once they got the kinks out, they finished the second quarter with 14 points, leading 33-20 going into halftime.
The Sabercats played their calling card of a big third quarter, notching 20 points in the third frame alone to take control of the game. Johnson had no trouble finding her range, as she extended her count for the game to 19 points and 10 rebounds in the third.
Jacklyn Simpson picked up where Johnson left off, as the sophomore newcomer got into double figures herself with back-to-back buckets in the fourth quarter. It was the path of least resistance for MBU, who cruised out to the 72-48 win to wrap up a convincing 10-3 home record.
This was the final home game for Luttrull, who will look to end her career on a high note going into the NCCAA postseason
MBU Starters: 3-Morrison, 5-Luttrull, 12-Johnson, 13-Johnson, 23-Torres // MMU Starters: 10-Pavelko, 14-Uebersetzig, 24-Grubbs, 35-Golo, 44-Williams
- Morrison: now has double-digit points in 14 consecutive games
- Kelsey: 22nd career double-double (21 points, 13 rebounds)
- Rebounding: MBU 43-43 MMU
- Last time: Maranatha just took home a 72-48 from Mount Mary on Saturday afternoon
- Series: Maranatha leads the series 26-9
- MMU competes in the NCAA DIII
- The Blue Angels are affiliated with the ACAA
- Mount Mary concludes their season with tonight's game
The Sabercats have earned the #1 seed for this weekend's NCCAA North Region Tournament and will open play Friday at 5:30 p.m. in the regional semifinal. Follow at mbusabercats.com/composite.