MILWAUKEE -- With the run the Sabercats have sustained, a win in Milwaukee tonight was imminent.
After 40 minutes at Mount Mary University, the Sabercats collected their ninth straight win and Coach Clayton Morrison earned the 300th win of his career.
The win was doubly historic, as the ninth straight victory set a program record for consecutive wins, which was previously set at eight straight by the 2012-2013 national championship team.
- Result: Maranatha 72-48 Mount Mary
- Venue: Bloechl Center, Mount Mary University
- Location: Milwaukee
- Attendance: 92
- Records: MBU (14-6), MMU (10-10)
Who was the best starter for MBU? Hard to say, because they were all in double digits by the end of the night, combining for 65 of the 72 points that the Sabercats amassed. Kelsey Johnson ended the night with a double-double, and she got things started with a seven-point showing in the first quarter. Johnson and the Sabercats limited the Blue Angels to less than 10 points through 10 minutes, and after an evenly matched second quarter, the Sabercats had a 27-21 lead entering the halftime break.
As if they needed to restate their case, the Sabercats came out flying in the third, scoring 23 points and frustrating Mount Mary throughout. Karley Johnson led MBU with six points and five boards in the third quarter, and the Sabercats went on to score another 22 in the final 10 minutes to seal the win. Callie Morrison and Rosa Torres scored nine points each in the final act and the Sabercats shot a precise 64.3 percent from the field.
The Sabercats will face Mount Mary again on Tuesday, and after tonight's result, you can bet the Blue Angels are dreading the trip to Watertown.
MBU Starters: 3-Morrison, 12-Johnson, 13-Johnson, 23-Torres, 32-Simpson // MMU Starters: 10-Pavelko, 14-Uebersetzig, 24-Grubbs, 35-Golo, 44-Williams
- Morrison: has double-digit points in 13 consecutive games
- Kelsey: 21st career double-double (12 points, 10 rebounds)
- Rebounds: MBU 39-28 MMU
- Mount Mary: 31 turnovers on the night
- Last year: the series was split and concluded when the Sabercats topped Mount Mary 63-52 in Milwaukee
- Series: Maranatha leads the series 24-9
- MMU competes in the NCAA DIII
- The Blue Angels are affiliated with the ACAA
- Mount Mary will conclude their season when they come to Watertown on Tuesday
The Sabercats will conclude their regular season with the second of two games against Mount Mary University. Tipoff will be at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday night. Follow at mbusabercats.com/composite.