WATERTOWN, Wis. -- The Sabercats got their seventh straight win with a 76-43 smashing of Rockford University tonight thanks to 23 points from Kelsey Johnson.
The junior was one of four student-athletes in double digits for MBU, as the Sabercats' win was well-rounded and decisive.
- Result: Maranatha 76-43 Rockford
- Venue: MBU Gymnasium
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 129
- Records: MBU (11-6), RU (2-20)
Kelsey Johnson singlehandedly outscored the Regents in the first quarter, as the junior ran up nine points on Rockford through the first 10 minutes.
The Sabercats' defense was stingy in the first half, as they ended up limiting the Regents to less than 10 points in each quarter. Maranatha also produced more chances, as they had 40 looks compared to just 25 from the Regents in the opening two acts. Going into the locker room, the Sabercats had 34 while Johnson and the Regents had 15 apiece.
The inevitable unfolded in the second half just as everyone expected. The Sabercats grew their lead to 31 by the end of the third quarter, as they had total control of the game. Trisha Wright provided a spark off the bench, as she came on to drain a couple of threes.
The game rolled on to its anticlimactic ending, and the Sabercats were on point for the duration. Sydney Luttrull knocked in 12 points from off the bench and added 10 rebounds for her first career double-double, and the Sabercats locked in their seventh consecutive win and their 10th win in their last 11 games.
MBU Starters: 3-Morrison, 12-Johnson, 13-Johnson, 23-Torres, 32-Simpson // RU Starters: 10-Silvers, 22-Fiorucci, 24-Keller, 25-Cox, 55-Russell
- Johnson: sixth game with 20 points or more this season
- Callie Morrison: 11 points - she has double-digit points in all but two games this season
- Luttrull: first career double-double
- MBU: shot 41.4 percent from the field
- Last year: Rockford won at home 57-54
- Series: Rockford leads the series 4-10
- Rockford competes in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference
- RU has posted wins over Marian (NACC) and Illinois Tech (NACC) this season
- RU finished last year with a 5-20 record
The Sabercats will host Lincoln Christian University on Thursday at 4:00 p.m. Follow at mbusabercats.com/composite.