WATERTOWN, Wis. -- It wasn't their prettiest, but the Sabercats got their sixth win in a row today with a 17-point rout of the Martin Luther College Knights.
- Result: Maranatha 59-42 Martin Luther
- Venue: MBU Gymnasium
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 96
- Records: MBU (11-6), MLC (1-22)
The weekend should be relaxing, but the Knights made the Sabercats work for this one. MBU lurched out to a 7-0 lead but MLC did enough offensively to make it a two-possession game by the end of the first quarter, solving the Sabercats' offense to limit further damage.
The Knights took a brief 11-10 lead in the early stages of the second quarter, but Morrison soon had enough of that, picking up a bucket, an assist, and a steal to help the Sabercats to a 6-0 run. But just when the Sabercats looked like they were solidifying the momentum, the Knights answered to keep it a six-point game entering the break.
The downside? MBU was 0-11 from downtown and shooting 30 percent from the floor. The upside? They still had a six-point lead.
Morrison and Kelsey Johnson had 11 and nine points respectively, doing the lion's share of the scoring to keep MBU in front.
Under pressure from the Knights, Morrison and the Sabercats kept it rolling, scoring 23 points during the third quarter. The Knights got within two points of the MBU lead, but they seemed to be unable to answer the Sabercats' unpredictable offense as the quarter wore on.
The Sabercats were showing their calling card of a big third quarter, and when the Knights still hadn't reached 30 points going into the fourth, it was clear that the Sabercats were heading for the win.
The fourth frame matched the score from the second, as both teams tied at 13 points to mark an anticlimactic end to the game. The Knights came within 11 points with two minutes left, but that was the biggest scare that MBU would face.
MBU Starters: 3-Morrison, 12-Johnson, 13-Johnson, 23-Torres, 32-Simpson // MLC Starters: 4-Engelbricht, 10-Otte, 11-Witkowski, 30-Rose, 31-Dewey
- Morrison: second consecutive game with 20-plus points
- Kelsey: 19th career double-double and 6th this season
- Rebounding: MBU 51-38 MLC
- MBU: third-worst shooting mark this season (31.7 percent)
- MBU: has won 9 of their last 10
- Last time: MLC beat MBU by 30 points in Watertown for the first game of the 2014-15 season
- Series: MLC leads the series 2-1
- Martin Luther competes in the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference (NCAA DIII)
- MLC ranks 9th/9 in the UMAC, holding a conference record of 1-13 this season
- The Knights are tracking for a rebuilding year this year, as they will have the fewest wins in a season since 2010
The Sabercats will host Rockford University on Monday night at 7:00 p.m. Follow at mbusabercats.com/composite.