WATERTOWN, Wis. -- The Sabercats just edged the Lakers earlier this season, but thanks to a double-double from Callie Morrison, tonight was anything but close.
The freshman guard dished out 10 assists and scored 11 points to notch her first career double-double and propel a 62-40 win over Silver Lake. Rosa Torres matched her career high in points as MBU moved to 9-6.
- Result: Maranatha 62-40 Silver Lake
- Venue: MBU Gymnasium
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 86
- Records: MBU (9-6), SLC (8-18)
The first few minutes were a harbinger of an easy night ahead for MBU, as the Sabercats flew out to an 11-0 lead. By the end of the first quarter, MBU was ahead 23-6 on 56 percent shooting. Morrison had already amassed seven points and five rebounds as things were looking good for MBU.
Coming out of the break, the Lakers seemed to have solved their problems. SLC knocked down a couple of unanswered shots but the Sabercats regrouped quickly. Sydney Luttrull came off the bench to lead MBU with five points, and after a 12-12 score from the second quarter, the Sabercats had a 17-point lead going into halftime.
As is their custom, the Sabercats came out big in the third quarter, pouring in 21 points while holding their guests to seven. Kelsey Johnson and Torres registered seven and six points respectively, and the Sabercats had built an insurmountable lead going into the final act.
Haly Hendricks came on in the fourth quarter to score her first points on the Sabercats' home floor, and Morrison scored her final points of the game to put the finishing touches on the home win for MBU.
MBU Starters: 3-Morrison, 12-Johnson, 13-Johnson, 23-Torres, 32-Simpson // SLC Starters: 10-Kotche, 14-Kudick, 20-Rabe, 22-Rumlow, 34-Boden
- Morrison: 11 points and 10 assists
- Torres: 13 points ties her previous best, which came January 26 against MSOE
- MBU: season-high 19 assists
- Last time: MBU beat Silver Lake in Manitowoc 68-64. It was the first time in over 30 years that MBU had beaten SLC
- Series: SLC leads the series 25-2
- Silver Lake competes in the USCAA DI and the NAIA DII
- SLC's NAIA conference is the Association of Independent Institutions
- Like MBU, SLC split a series with Grace Christian University this season
The Sabercats will hit the road for a 5:00 p.m. matchup at Emmaus Bible College on Friday. The Eagles beat the Sabercats in the NCCAA North Region Championship game last year. Follow at mbusabercats.com/composite.