ANKENY, Iowa -- The Sabercats got what they came for today, as they doubled up Faith Baptist to win 70-35 in Ankeny.
Trisha Wright was in the zone, as she put up 15 points to lead the Sabercats to their first NCCAA regional win of the season.
- Result: #9 Maranatha 70-35 Faith Baptist
- Venue: Convocation Center, Faith Baptist Bible College
- Location: Ankeny, Iowa
- Attendance: 262
- Records: MBU (8-6), FBBC (8-8)
The Sabercats wrote a similar story to their victory over MSOE last weekend, posting a huge third quarter to propel the win. But it started with a 19-point showing in the first quarter, as Jacklyn Simpson led the Sabercats out of the gate with nine points on 4-5 shooting. A 19-11 scoreline at the end of the first was a sign of things to come.
The second quarter was a defensive struggle, as the two teams combined for just 16 points. Eleven of those points fell to MBU, who held a commanding 30-16 lead going into the locker room.
Then came the third quarter, which has proven itself to be a catalyst for the Sabercats' wins. The Sabercats put up 24 points in the third quarter alone, as Wright and Rosa Torres led the way with seven points each. After shooting over 50 percent as a team and holding the Eagles to just seven points in the third quarter, the Sabercats were on cruise control.
The win came soon enough after an uneventful fourth quarter, and the Sabercats had every student-athlete contribute to the win.
MBU Starters: 3-Morrison, 12-Johnson, 13-Johnson, 23-Torres, 32-Simpson // FBBC Starters: 5-Fritz, 10-Smith, 12-Smith, 15-Crider, 33-Shepard
- Wright: 15 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals
- Callie Morrison: 10 points, 4 rebounds
- MBU: 9 turnovers - second lowest this season
- Last Year: MBU beat Faith 77-49
- Series: MBU leads the series 9-0
- The Eagles compete in the NCCAA DII and the Midwest Christian College Conference
- Faith competes with the Sabercats in the NCCAA North Region
- FBBC lost in the NCCAA North Region semifinal last season, finishing the year with an 11-13 record
- Faith finished the 2017-18 season with a NCCAA regional record of 2-9
The Sabercats will return home on Tuesday for a 5:00 p.m. tipoff against Silver Lake College. Follow at mbusabercats.com/composite.