LINCOLN, Ill. -- The Sabercats had a rough start on the road at Lincoln Christian University, scoring just six points in the opening quarter. MBU fought back against the Red Lion defense, but came up short in the end.
- Result: Maranatha 49 - 62 Lincoln Christian
- Venue: Gaston Arena
- Location: Lincoln, Ill.
- Attendance: 68
- Records: MBU (2-5), LCU (6-8)
The MBU Sabercats women were just 6-for-28, 21.4 percent from the field in the opening quarters of today's game at LCU. MBU battled in the second quarter, holding the Red Lion's at bay, but trailed 20-35 at the half. LCU lit up the scoreboard with a 44.8 percent effort from the field.
A slight improvement in the third quarter enabled the Sabercats to close the gap, outscoring the Red Lions 12-8 behind the three-point shooting of Rosa Torres and Kelsey Johnson. The fourth quarter saw MBU trade shot-for-shot with LCU, but as the final seconds expired, MBU fell short 49-62.
MBU Starters: 3-Morrison, 4-Wright, 12-Johnson, 13-Johnson, 32-Simpson // GCU Starters: 4-Brackney, 5-Crockett, 30-McCormick, 32-Smith, 40-Waid
- Kelsey Johnson - double-double (13 points, 11 rebounds)
- Jacklyn Simpson - nine points, 4 rebounds
- Last year: Lincoln won both editions of last season's series by six points or less
- Series: Maranatha leads the series 27-12
- Lincoln Christian compete in the NCCAA DI and the NAIA DII
- The Sabercats are the second NCCAA DII opponent that Lincoln Christian has faced this season
The Sabercats will travel to Manitowoc, Wisconsin on Saturday for a 1:00 p.m. tip against Silver Lake College. Follow at mbusabercats.com/composite.