WYOMING, Mich. -- The Sabercats started today's game strong but struggled against constant pressure from the Tigers in the second half.
- Result: Maranatha 47-52 Grace Christian
- Venue: Aldrich Athletic Center
- Location: Wyoming, Mich.
- Attendance: 48
- Records: MBU (2-4), GCU (8-11)
The Sabercats jumped out to a first quarter (18-11) and then first half lead (28-18) with a solid defensive performance, holding the Tigers to just 21.4 percent shooting in the first half. Karley Johnson and Kelsey Johnson owned the boards with 10 and eight rebounds respectively to position MBU for the second half.
In the second half of play, the Tigers' full-court pressure caused several turnovers for the Sabercats and the lead dwindled to 38-34 by the end of the third quarter. The fourth quarter saw the same pressure resulting in the lead change and eventual loss for MBU.
MBU Starters: 3-Morrison, 12-Johnson, 13-Johnson, 23-Torres, 32-Simpson // GCU Starters: 1-Follett, 5-Harris, 11-Carlson, 44-Long, 45-Hoek
- Karley Johnson double-double (12 points, 17 rebounds)
- Callie Morrison 11 points, seven rebounds
- Last year: the Sabercats swept the two-game series with the Tigers
- Series: Maranatha leads the series 27-11
- The Tigers are members of the NCCAA Mideast Region
- GCU holds a 3-2 record against NCCAA opponents this season
The Sabercats will stay on the road for a 4:00 p.m. tip at Lincoln Christian University on Thursday. Follow at mbusabercats.com/composite.