October 1, 2021 | by Nate Croswell
ROCK ISLAND, Ill. -- Today was a long day for both of the Maranatha Cross Country teams as both teams were short-handed at the Brissman-Lundeen Invitational.
A few key runners were missing from the squads due to injury, which limited the ability of the Sabercats to compete in an incredibly competitive meet.
The men's 8K race was host to 24 highly skilled teams. The squad from the University of Chicago easily took first place with a 40-point gap, and U-Chicago's Sam Craig led the pack with a time of 24:43. Jeremy Fopma was the first to cross the finish line for Maranatha, improving his time from the Tom Hoffman meet two weeks ago by six seconds at 26:46. He finished in 48th among the competitive field. The men finished in 22nd of the 24 teams with a team time of 2:33:16.
On the women's side, a 6K, the field featured 21 teams filled with fiery runners. The University of Chicago easily took the title with all seven of their runners finishing in the top 10 and finished with just 22 points, but it was Loras College's Kassie Rosenbum who broke the tape with a time of 20:26. For Maranatha, Abigail Doak was the first to cross the finish line with a 6K personal best of 26:16. Behind her, Sierra John also set a 6K PR with a time of 27:09. The ladies finished in 20th of 21 teams with a team time of 2:23:13.
- Event (Augustana): Brissman-Lundeen Invitational (Rock Island, Illinois/Saukie Golf Course)
- Men's Finish: 22nd/24 - 628 points
- Team Time: 2:33:16
- First Runner: 48th - Jeremy Fopma - 26:46 (8K)
- Women's Finish: 20th/21 - 661 points
- Team Time: 2:23:13
- First Runner: 117th - Abigail Doak - 26:16 (6K)
- Location: Augustana / Rock Island, Ill. / Saukie Golf Course
RESULTS (Men's 8K)
- 48th - Jeremy Fopma - 26:46^
- 138th - Jordan Hoffmann - 30:21^
- 145th - Jefferson Rupert - 31:50^
- 147th - Drew Smith - 32:03^
- 150th - David Dorothy - 32:16^
- (160th) - Nathan Terry - 37:34
- (162nd) - Jeremiah Markle - 41:14
- -- - Curtis Fink - 49:20
RESULTS (Women's 6K)
- 117th - Abigail Doak - 26:16*^
- 130th - Sierra John - 27:09*^
- 137th - Lydia Neubert - 29:05^
- 138th - Kate Nutzhorn - 29:58^
- 139th - Ashley Brungard - 30:45
- (140th) - Katie Jean Lingle - 30:45^
- -- - Taylor Ellis - 35:28
- -- - Melissa Shetter - 36:34
- -- - Kaitlyn Mayer - 39:32
*6K Personal Record :: #Program Top-20 finish :: +Qualified for NCCAA Nationals :: ^Already Qualified for NCCAA Nationals
The Sabercats' next meet will be Saturday, October 16 at the Wisconsin Private College Championships hosted by Lawrence in Appleton, Wisconsin. Follow at mbusabercats.com/schedule.