- Event: Mustang Jamboree
- Men's Finish: 7th of 10 / 197 points
- Team Time: 2:24:33
- First Runner: Jeremy Fopma - 2nd - 25:13 (8K)
- Women's Finish: 11th of 11 / 251 points
- Team Time: 1:55:32
- First Runner: Abigail Doak - 13th - 19:59 (5K)
- Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa / Seminole Valley Park
- Next: Saturday, November 14 at NCCAA Nationals (Seneca, Missouri)
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa -- A cold day at the Mustang Jamboree brought an even assortment of ups and downs for both Sabercats Cross Country teams, who had their final tune-up before NCCAA Nationals.
Jeremy Fopma went toe to toe with Pur Biel of Iowa Central, but Biel edged Fopma by two seconds, cutting the tape with a time of 25:11 to deny Fopma the win in his home state. Behind Fopma, Jefferson Rupert and Drew Smith both set PRs, with Rupert moving into a tie for 10th all-time in program history with a 28:50 8K. The Men's Team dropped three minutes off of their time from last week, as Josiah Cochran was sidelined due to injury today. All told, the team scored 197 points on the way to a seventh-place finish.
Iowa Central won the event by three minutes, cruising to the win with a team score of 47 and a time of 2:12:00.
On the women's side, the Sabercats' top four runners all set a PR, lifting the team to the best time this season. Abigail Doak improved her program-second-best time up to 19:59 for the 5K, and Sierra John (21:39 - program 11th) and Katie Jean Lingle (22:26 - program 18th) both set PRs as well en route to program-top-20 times. Rebekah Shetter improved her PR by almost a full minute, and Hannah Hecker made her collegiate cross-country debut with a time of 26:05.
St. Ambrose University, earned the win for the women with a team time of 1:39:43 and 78 points, and Mount Mercy's Kelsi Huhndorf cut the tape with a 5K of 18:39.
RESULTS (Men's 8K)
- 2nd - Jeremy Fopma (25:13)+#
- 37th - Jefferson Rupert (28:50)*+#
- 44th - Jordan Hoffmann (29:39)
- 45th - Zach Brungard (30:07)
- 48th - Drew Smith (30:41)*+
RESULTS (Women's 5K)
- 13th - Abigail Doak (19:59)*+#
- 46th - Sierra John (21:39)*+#
- 56th - Katie Jean Lingle (22:26)*+#
- 67th - Rebekah Shetter (25:20)*
- 69th - Hannah Hecker (26:05)
- (71st) - Haly Hendricks (27:50)
- (72nd) - Myah Hoffman (27:50)
*Personal Record :: +Already Qualified for Nationals :: #Program Top-20 finish
The Sabercats' regular season is complete, and they will turn their entire focus to November 14 and NCCAA Nationals. Find details at mbusabercats.com/schedule