POINT LOOKOUT, Mo. -- For the first time since 2015, Maranatha has a winning runner at NCCAA Nationals.
Jeremy Fopma was pacing the NCCAA DII all season, and the sophomore finished first today at the difficult trail in the Ozarks. Fopma's courageous 26:38 8K led the Sabercats to a 4th-place finish while making Fopma Maranatha's first winner at nationals since Caleb Wagner in 2015.
The Men's Team finished in their expected 4th place, coming in behind the champions, Bob Jones University, and challengers Ozark Christian (2nd) and Kansas Christian (3rd). This was Fopma's third win this season, as the Sophomore cemented his place in the All-American selections as the nation's fastest runner.
In the Women's 5K, Abigail Doak surprised everyone with a 22:02 5K, pacing the team with a 14th-place finish and a personal record to boot. Sierra John (22:47) and Katie Jean Lingle (23:01) were right behind Doak, as Maranatha's first three runners all recorded their best-ever 5K times.
Moody Bible Institute defended their national title while Bob Jones (2nd) and Alice Lloyd College (3rd) both earned spots on the podium.
The course lived up to its reputation of difficulty, as neither the Men's Team nor the Women's Team recorded their fastest time of the season. Still, five runners in Maranatha colors set PR's on the day, as both teams gave it their all at the season's final meet.
- Event: NCCAA Nationals
- Men's Finish: 4th of 6 / 99 points
- Team Time: 2:43:00
- First Runner: Jeremy Fopma - 1st - 26:38 (8K)
- Women's Finish: 6th of 6 / 125 points
- Team Time: 2:04:18
- First Runner: Abigail Doak - 14th - 22:02 (5K) (PR)
- Location: Point Lookout, Mo. / College of the Ozarks
RESULTS (Men's 8K)
- 1st - Jeremy Fopma (26:38)
- 15th - Jordan Hoffmann (30:31)*
- 34th - Drew Smith (34:40)
- 38th - Heath Holmes (35:15)
- 40th - James Rossiter (35:55)
- (45th) - Jonathan Gilliam (37:23)
- (47th) - Eric Schmid (37:57)*
RESULTS (Women's 5K)
- 14th - Abigail Doak (22:02)^
- 22nd - Sierra John (22:47)^
- 26th - Katie Jean Lingle (23:01)^
- 40th - Anna Rossiter (24:19)
- 52nd - Haly Hendricks (32:07)
*Personal Record :: ^5K Personal Record
A full recap of the season will be coming soon at mbusabercats.com.