WHITEWATER, Wis. -- The Sabercats got a second crack at Wisconsin-Whitewater's course, and nine runners capitalized by coming away with PR's on the day.
Every one of the Women's Team runners set their best times this season, and six of the seven set the best marks of their career, led by Katie Jean Lingle (27:57) and an out-of-the-blue time of 27:59 set by Abigail Doak, who shattered her previous best by almost a minute and a half.
The results revealed the competitive nature of the small event, however, as even a season-best performance from Maranatha still landed them in fourth out of four. Wisconsin-Oshkosh took home the win with 30 points, just edging Wisconsin-Stevens Point by 11 points. Alexis Anderson cut the tape first, representing the Pointers well with a 6K time of 24:57.
On the men's side, Jeremy Fopma finished in second place overall, running a 27:10 8K on a day where everyone's pace slackened due to the conditions. Fopma was just 14 seconds behind Wisconsin-Platteville's Nolan Wallenkamp.
Taking the top podium spot was Wisconsin-Whitewater, who beat out Stevens Point by a mere eight points, cashing in with a team time of 2:21:05 in the event.
This was the final tune-up before NCCAA DII Nationals, as both Maranatha teams will have three weeks to prepare for the brutal course at the College of the Ozarks.
Find details for each meet as they are made available at mbusabercats.com/schedule.
- Event: Oshkosh Open
- Men's Finish: 5th of 5 / 128 points
- Team Time: 2:42:55
- First Runner: Jeremy Fopma - 2nd - 27:10 (8K)
- Women's Finish: 4th of 4 / 94 points
- Team Time: 2:24:43
- First Runner: Katie Jean Lingle - 15th - 27:57 (6K) (PR)
- Location: Whitewater, Wis. / Wis.-Whitewater
- Next: Saturday, November 16 at NCCAA Nationals
RESULTS (Men's 8K)
- 2nd - Jeremy Fopma (27:10)
- 30th - Jordan Hoffmann (30:34)*
- 31st - Drew Smith (34:20)*
- 32nd - Heath Holmes (34:27)
- 33rd - Jonathan Gilliam (36:22)
- (34th) - James Rossiter (37:52)
- (35th) - Eric Schmid (38:39)*
RESULTS (Women's 6K)
- 15th - Katie Jean Lingle (27:57)*
- 16th - Abigail Doak (27:59)*
- 17th - Sierra John (28:05)*
- 22nd - Taylor Ellis (29:20)*
- 24th - Abigail Shetter (31:19)*
- 25th - Haly Hendricks (35:53)
The Sabercats will now focus on the season finale of NCCAA Nationals on November 16. Find details at mbusabercats.com/schedule