SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Today's finish wasn't a personal record for Jeremy Fopma, and it was still good enough to stand as the fastest 8K in Maranatha program history.
The flying sophomore ran a blistering 26:28 8K in the rain to finish 15th at the staunchly competitive Bethel Invitational, capitalizing on the fast course to break a seven-year standing record set by Will O'Malley in 2012.
MARANATHA MEN'S CROSS COUNTRY TOP 5
The Sabercats Men's Team ran their best 8K of the season, finishing at 2:40:40, which translates to a 32:08 average. Fopma led the way while Jordan Hoffman, Heath Homes, Jonathan Gilliam, Eric Schmid all recorded PR's on the day.
Olivet Nazarene (NAIA, NCCAA DI) finished first for the Men's 8K, compiling just 43 points in a 111-runner field. ONU's Wesley Meyer cut the tape with a noteworthy time of 25:16 to win the event, as Olivet held off Huntington to take home the winners' title.
This was the second 5K of the year for the Women's Team, as every runner beat their time from the Dutch Invitational earlier in September. Sierra John led Maranatha with a time of 23:02 and was one of four runners to set a PR. Katie Jean Lingle, Taylor Ellis, and Abigail Doak all had personal-best times in the 5K event.
Indiana Wesleyan showcased some outstanding pack running to win the event, as each of their top five finishers all crossed the line in just a 17-second span. IWU held off Huntington, who took second on the women's side as well.
Find details for each meet as they are made available at mbusabercats.com/schedule.
- Event: Bethel Invitational
- Men's Finish: 15th of 16 / 434 points
- Team Time: 2:40:40
- First Runner: Jeremy Fopma - 15th - 26:28 (8K)
- Women's Finish: 18th of 20 / 565 points
- Team Time: 1:58:00
- First Runner: Sierra John - 108th - 23:02 (5K)
- Location: South Bend, Ind. / St. Patrick's County Park
- Next: Saturday, October 19 at Wisconsin Private College Championships
RESULTS (Men's 8K)
- 15th - Jeremy Fopma (26:28)
- 100th - Jordan Hoffman (31:03)*
- 103rd - Heath Holmes (33:40)*
- 107th - Jonathan Gilliam (34:24)*
- 109th - James Rossiter (35:02)
- (110th) - Drew Smith (35:47)
- (111th) - Eric Schmid (40:26)*
RESULTS (Women's 5K)
- 108th - Sierra John (23:02)*
- 109th - Katie Jean Lingle (23:05)*
- 117th - Anna Rossiter (23:13)
- 118th - Taylor Ellis (24:08)*
- (125th) - Abigail Shetter (24:29)*
- (130th) - Abigail Doak (25:44)
- (87th) - Haly Hendricks (29:27)
The Sabercats will turn their attention to next Saturday and the Wisconsin Private College Championships. Find details at mbusabercats.com/schedule