West Allis, Wis. -- Jeremy Fopma didn't let the mud or the entire field stop him today, winning the Warrior Invitational in a riveting finish. The sophomore transfer ran a blistering 27:00 8K on the slow course to beat the 119-runner field and secure his second meet win of the season.
Fopma just edged out Concordia-Chicago's Thomas McNamara, who clocked in at a time of 27:02 to lead CUC to an 11th-place finish. Aurora University won the day, taking home the first-place honor with a 2:22:48 team time and 78 total points. For Fopma, he was almost a minute off of his PR, and just nine seconds away from the Maranatha program record of 26:52 set in 2012 by Will O'Malley.
The mud slowed the Men's Team by about eight minutes, as the Sabercats had some new faces in the running squad for the afternoon. Jordan Hoffmann took over the second spot on the squad from Jefferson Rupert, who did not participate. Behind Hoffman came Heath Holmes, Jonathan Gilliam, and Eric Schmid, who all contributed to the team time as best they could in the slower conditions.
The Women's Team hastened their pace by over two minutes combined. Katie Jean Lingle was the fastest, technically, as she and Sierra John crossed the finish line side by side. Lingle's time of 28:45 was a PR for her, as she joined Abigail Shetter and Taylor Ellis in the PR club for the day.
Edgewood College was the winning team on the women's side, as they landed three runners in the top 10 to end with 49 points and a team time of 2:08:11.
All eyes will be on next weekend's Bethel Invitational, as both squads will look to take advantage of the (expectedly) faster course near South Bend, Indiana.
Find details for that meet as they are made available at mbusabercats.com/schedule.
- Event: Warrior Invitational
- Men's Finish: 13th of 16 / 328 points
- Team Time: 2:51:14
- First Runner: Jeremy Fopma - 1st - 27:00 (8K)
- Women's Finish: 11th of 14 / 283 points
- Team Time: 2:28:50
- First Runner: Katie Jean Lingle - 46th - 28:45 (6K)
- Location: West Allis, Wis. / Greenfield Park
- Next: Friday, October 11 at Bethel Invitational
RESULTS (Men's 8K)
- 1st - Jeremy Fopma (27:00)
- 49th - Jordan Hoffmann (31:39)*
- 86th - Heath Holmes (35:23)*
- 90th - Jonathan Gilliam (35:43)
- 102nd - Eric Schmid (41:26)
RESULTS (Women's 6K)
- 46th - Katie Jean Lingle (28:45)*
- 47th - Sierra John (28:45)
- 56th - Anna Rossiter (29:20)
- 60th - Taylor Ellis (29:54)*
- 74th - Abigail Shetter (32:05)*
- (79th) - Abigail Doak (34:01)
- (87th) - Haly Hendricks (37:05)
The Sabercats will have an evening run at the Bethel Invitational on Friday, October 11 at 5:00 p.m. Find details at mbusabercats.com/schedule