PELLA, Iowa -- The Sabercats Men's Cross Country Team finished third of fourth at the Central College Dutch Invitational, but Jeremy Fopma grabbed the headlines.
The sophomore runner set a blistering time of 19:34 to win the 6K event, cruising to a 5:15 pace for almost four miles. Fopma beat Central's Daniel Sunvold in a photo finish, finishing atop the podium for the Blue and Gold.
An away race? Not exactly, as Fopma ran at Central during his freshman season last year. The sophomore was back on his home course, and he was in his element.
While Fopma and the Sabercats showed promise, the race did not qualify anyone for NCCAA Nationals, as the Dutch Invitational was only a 6K event, not the 8K distance that the NCCAA requires for qualifying times.
- Event: Dutch Invitational
- Men's Finish: 3rd of 4 / 82 points
- Team Time: 2:00:51.9
- First Runner: Jeremy Fopma - 1st - 19:34 (6K)
- Location: Pella, Iowa / Central College
- Next: Saturday, Septemeber 14 at Tom Hoffman Invitational
- 1st - Jeremy Fopma (19:34)
- 17th - Jefferson Rupert (23:04)
- 19th - Jordan Hoffmann (24:27)
- 22nd - Drew Smith (26:49)
- 23rd - Heath Holmes (26:56)
- (24th) - James Rossiter (27:17)
- (26th) - Nathan Bixby (29:04)
- (61st) - Eric Schmid (32:24)
The Sabercats will face the field at Wisconsin-Whitewater's Tom Hoffman Invitational next Saturday. The races begin at 10:00 a.m.